Window tint question...

TheSurveyor

This doesn't really apply to SC's... more of a general question.

My 91 SC Auto has window tint on all windows except the windshield. I've had the tint for 5 years and it was done by one of the best in town. The tint has not peeled or bubbled yet, however over the past year or so, the tint seems to have accumulated a whitish film on the interior. If you wet the filmy residue (with nearly any type of cleaner/water), you can sort of "push" it around, but it will not dissolve and it's difficult to actually wipe it off. It's easy to "push" it around (it kind of builds up in the direction you're pushing), but it simply will not come off unless you really try (too hard to do the whole window). I've noticed it's only on the driver/passenger windows (so I'm thinking it might be acid rain?) Also, if you let the cloth you use to try to clean it with dry out, there seems to be irridescent sort of "crystals" on the cloth. They almost look like sand, but it's much finer and sparklier. Anybody know what this is and how to clean it?

Thanks,
W. Hanley
aka "thesurveyor"

Out of simple deduction; I would say it is either the plastic itself wearing away or the product of the plastic and another substance combining.

What to do about it? I am unsure what exact material the tint is constructed of, so I can not say what type of chemical solution could combine with it to effectively remove it. I personally would either try further experiments with more chemicals, go to somewhere like autopia.com where they might have more knowledge about car cosmetic subjects, or at last resort simply replace the tint if feasable.

Hope that helps at least somewhat..

Back