Timing Cover leakage

SCme

I about 95% sure that my coolant leak is from my timing cover on my 94. I understand that the pan does not have to be dropped, nor any thing from the passenger side removed, but most of the driver side accessories. I am planing to replace the water pump and gasket at the same time. Anything else I should replace/think of replacing around this area when doing this? Has right at 95K on it. This is a budget job, so things that need to be replace will be looked at, while its a good ideal, but might not need to bereplaced will be only thought about depending on the price.

my 90 was leaking coolant from between the timing cover and the block, and all i had to do was tighten the bolts! i got at least a quarter turn on all of them (actually there were 2 i never go to because i didnt remove the power steering pump) and it has not leaked since (this was 2 years ago) I put a small bottle of bars leak in for good measure but the bolts were all loose. I'm 99 percent sure it has never been apart so i think the gasket just compressed due to heating up and cooling down over time. So you might try that before you make a project out of it.

same dileama here.... Im getting a new waterpump ,new timing chain and gears and a BHJ balencer because you need to remove the balencer.

parts

oil pump is about 100 bucks, don't forget the power steering pulley puller/pusher. prime the oil pump and maybe have the radiator boiled for prevention. i think it is safer to remave the radiator anyway. it take an extra 5 minutes

SCme said:
I about 95% sure that my coolant leak is from my timing cover on my 94.
You sure??? My water pump was trickling coolant out of the weep hole and I could not figure out where it was coming from because the leak was so slow that the underside of the pump was never wet. I too thought it was the timing chain cover. The way I found it was when I took off the plastic HB cover and couldn't find any obvious leak, then I finally traced it back up to the WP. The Wp is a whole lot easier to replace. :)

Back