pick a fight: GTP supercharged

92redsc

Does any one know how fast these are running. my friend has an older one, the model before the ones now. the ones now have 260 HP and 280 ft. lbs. it took gm that long to super charge a 3.8l engine? wow. why does the SC have more torque but less HP? Do you tink i can take my friends when i get my car fixed. all i have is removed air scilencer, k&n, and gutted cats. he wants to race and he says ford sucks, and of course, being the 16 year old i am ran my mouth, and then i found out his gran prix is supercharged. yay.

check out the ss poll. Someone just posted a thread about GTP 1/4 mile times. I know a few modded GTP killed me at the track in my SVT Focus. I was running mid 15s with intake and underdrive pulleys.

So what do these SC run in the 1/4.

We race the GTP's 3 times per year in Iowa.

Most of them are about 1/2 second faster than a stock SC.

With a few mods they are in the mid 14's

so they are about the same then huh? i can take him then because when my car is fixed it will have a magnaport 2 on it hehe. and stock 5 speed supercoupes are in the low 15s. not bad at all for late 80s early 90s v6 huh?

92redsc said:
so they are about the same then huh? i can take him then because when my car is fixed it will have a magnaport 2 on it hehe. and stock 5 speed supercoupes are in the low 15s. not bad at all for late 80s early 90s v6 huh?

Let me rephrase that, Stock the GTP's run 14.8 to 15.1

Looks like 1997:

http://www.edmunds.com/used/1997/po...?tid=edmunds.u.prices.leftsidenav..6.Pontiac*

according to edmunds anyway, in 1997 the GTP had 240hp and 280ft*lbs of torque... still a tractor though.

Stock on stock I would expect the later models to be faster than the SCs and the earlier ones to be a bit slower. Also according to Edmunds, the 1998 GTP did 0-60 in 8.8 which seems a bit slow to me... as the '94-'95 SCs I think were supposed to do 0-60 in the low 7s I thought... ?

If they got an 8.8 0-60, they must have been driving with 4 flat tires. Any stock Stock GTP since 97 should have no problem pulling mid 6s to 60 and as quick as mid 14s in the quarter, BONE STOCK. And remember, unlike the SC they do not have an intercooler. They can be in the 13s with just a pulley switch, CAI, and ubend removed from the exhaust. DOn't underestimate those suckers!! Oh, and that's the 97-03 models, the 04+ should be even quicker!

brian

Spex direct from Motor Trend Magazine have the following figures for Pontic GTP:

1991 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (auto)
0-60 = 8.4
1/4 mile = 16.3

1997 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
0-60 = 6.6
1/4 mile = 15.0

2000_Pontiac_Grand Prix GTP
0-60 = 6.8
1/4 mile = 15.1

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
0-60 = 6.5
1/4 mile = 14.9

The 91-96s were totally different cars. they were powered byt a NA 3.4 DOHC V6 with around 210 HP and 200 torque. they were also avail with a 5 speed some years though and those could hit well into the 15s. Check www.clubGP.com for the 97-03 and 04+ models, you'll find most hit the 14s bone stock, mostly mid high 14s and very few in the VERY low 14s. they aren't to be taken lightly.

Brian

pre-97 GTPs had superchargers...a 3.4L S/Ced v6 I dont know when the started it but I know there were older body styled GTPs with S/Cs...I think they have a worse aftermarket than us.

I think they used M62? eaton S/Cs....

TbirdSC93 said:
pre-97 GTPs had superchargers...a 3.4L S/Ced v6 I dont know when the started it but I know there were older body styled GTPs with S/Cs...I think they have a worse aftermarket than us.

I think they used M62? eaton S/Cs....

Actually 91-96 GTPs had NA 3.4 DOHC v6s, 91-93s where avail. with 5 speeds. the SCs didn't start until the 97s with the SCed 3800 series 2. The Aftermarlet for the 3.4s is horrible, basically nonexistant. The 3.8 SCs on the other hand have a GREAT aftermarket. There was a 3.1 turbo GP offered in 89-90?, but it was a job by McLaren, the others are all GM in house.

Brian

silversc90 said:
no really, did you ever have it at a track?

Never got a chance to run it, it wasa toasted when I got it, but I was able to make some green on it, so it was nice. :) my bro has a red 91 TSI/turbo/auto, it has a K&N, ported gen, gen 2 exhaust manifold, a ported 14b turbo and a couple other things, it runs pretty good, but has some boost leaks right now.

Brian

one of my son's buddies has a talon. he keeps telling us that he can take my boy's tbird, but his car is always broke. i have never seen it, it spent all last summer in a garage some where. personally i think that they are over rated.

eclipses/talons are way over rated for the simple fact that they are always broken, when they run...theyre quick.....but no worries, theyre in the garage 90% of the time

i agree

I agree that Talon's/Eclipses are over rated. Most of them in this town are broke down all the time too. As for the original question i think a stock GTP would lose vs. a decently modded SC. But that's how it is with alot of cars when its stock v.s modified. Just my 2 cents.

1998 Grand Prix GTP (4-door)
Best ¼ : 13.641@ 103.2 mph

Back