Next Meet -12/08 Irwindale Raceway

R

RonzSC

Everyone interested in being apart of the Southern California Chapter should consider making one of the meets...like this one.
Irwindale is a great place to meet and drag. The pits are open and there is plenty of room to gather together and chat between runs.
See John Shelton's post with Irwindale's web-site that has directions.

Ron

Re: Next Meet ???

I'm going to Carlsbad Raceway 12/1 and I'd welcome some company. But, being cramped and dusty, it's not the best place for a meet. carlsbadrags.tripod.com/c...s/id1.html

Palmdale LACR is nice but not sure about their upcoming schedule.

Irwindale is having a "street rod drags and show" on 12/8. That might be a good place to get together - they'll let us run too. www.irwindalespeedway.com...xtweek.asp

Any other ideas?

Let us know how you like that new trans !

uhngauwah !

Re: Let us know how you like that new trans !

Well, Fred, the trans is nice but is taking a little getting used to. The non-lockup feels like too it's loose in normal driving, but strong on the track. And I love manually shifting with the ratchet. Now that I can shift at higher RPM's, I think I'm getting belt slippage over 5000 (trying to shift @ 5800) siince it's kind of stumbling up there; but A/F is good. I picked up a mph and improved a little more on my ET: 13.545 @ 103.22.

I met Lonnie Doll of San Diego, who happened to be there in a Lincoln; no other T-Birds or XR7's.

sc belts

Do you have the shorter belt, Napa/Gates K080390 ? Alos helps to have the oversize idlers. I had a jackshaft pulley made with 5% od on it, so it pulled the belt tighter. I'm running the 392 belt with stock blower pulley. No slipping at all right up to 7000.

Is that on the street file ?

Re: That's Great John!

Hey John...
That's great about your car running well with the new tranny. Are you still breaking the tires loose on the shift to second gear? I wouldn't be surprised if you start getting into the twelves this summer.
With the rain coming in on a regular basis it doesn't look like we'll be able to get together for a while.
Later,
Ron

Re: sc belts

Fred - I have the 392 belt with a 2.75" idler and a 3.2" pulley on an s-model and stock jackshaft pulley. I just got a set of 3" idlers, but haven't gotten them on yet. I don't see any black dust though, it just seemed to bog in the 5500 area in all 3 gears. I need new belts so I'll get a 390 when I change the idler soon. I'd also like to try a smaller sc pulley, but one thing at a time.

I'll experiment next weekend and see if I can get a better idea of the cause and more details. I was using 100 octane with the 100 file.

Ron - No, not breaking the tires loose from 1-2 now. It's shifting faster than with the Transgo. I think there might have been just enough of a between-gears interval with the Transgo that caused that effect. If the weather's good Saturday the 8th, I think I'll go to Irwindale for troubleshooting and practice. That will be their last drags until February.

Re: sc belts

John, how are the tracks at irwindale? i just don't know about running at an 1/8 track. i want to run my car cause this is the first time it's been running good in a year or so. oh,does it get crowded on a sat. this sat. i work at 4. i might have to help my friend demolish their kitchen, but if not, i'll try and go out to irwindale. good job on the 13.5
-kris

Irwindale

Kris, I like Irwindale. I had my doubts about 1/8, but it turned out to be fun. Especially since so much of our 1/4 time is based on what we do in the first 1/8. It's brand new and has a good launch pad. I've heard that it's more crowded on Thursday evenings than weekends. If you get there in the morning, I'll bet you could get 6 runs in and back home by 4:00. Hope you can make it.

Re: Irwindale

cool, i'll be there. what time are you going to arrive and how are the pits?
-kris
oh, and where exactly is it?

Re: Irwindale

Kris, here are directions from their website:
The facility is located at 13300 East Live Oak Avenue at the 605 Freeway in nearby Irwindale. Fans arriving from the South need to take the Live Oak West off-ramp West one block back over the freeway to the main entrance. Arrivals from the north will exit to the west on Arrow Highway and then turn left at the second light (Live Oak) for a short half-block trip to the main gates.

Gates open at 7:00, racing starts at 9:00, I'll probably be there by 8:00. Pits are in a huge parking area - plenty of room.

Back