Uh-oh. CE light.

rock5

My car sat for 5 nights in frigid cold at the BWI parking lot. I planned ahead and had my booster in the trunk, but the car started right up.

After idling a while and paying the ransom to leave, I sat at a light and my Check Engine lit came on. It remained on for probably 5 minutes and finally went off sometime while on the highway.

Is this something I need to worry about? I would blame it on the cold, but having had no problems with my SC, I want to catch anything before it becomes an issue.

Don't know until you pull the codes from the EEC connection port, which is on the passenger firewall and should be clearly marked. You need a scanner which can read EEC-IV and can be purchased from most auto part stores, Sears, Wal-Mart, etc. Cost you like $30-$40 depending on where you get it. I have an "Actron" Code Scanner, but there are others as well as lot more expensive models. This is a handy tool that will save you like $100 each time from having the dealer hook it up to their scanner.

Edit...just noticed yours is a 95. Not sure if 95's have OBD-II instead of EEC-IV. Make sure when you buy the scanner that is for your year and make. The scan tools usually cover many different years.

Last edited:
I don't think it is. OBD II Systems were not required untill 1997. so 1996 cars are mixed breed while 1995 are all still random setups. EEC IV, OBD I etc.

You can have Autozone do the scan for you for free (last time I heard). But, definately check your codes with something as was mentioned before. But FYI, mine's a 95 and I had an intermitten check engine light. Turned out to be code 214 which was a bad cam sensor. Replaced it and all is better now!

Back