Aaarrrgghhhh!!!

Berserk

(I know I did this in the wrong order, but...) So after taking off the driver's side head, I went to drain the oil, and about two gallons of coolant came spurting out, followed by a relatively normal amount of oil. When I first had any indications of HG failure, I did check the oil and it did not appear cloudy/milky. I only drove the car for maybe 5 miles total with any indications of problems (slightly elevated engine temps initially). That's even a high estimate.

Even so, now that I know there was coolant in the oil, what are the necessary steps I need to take? I'm on a tight schedule and budget. I was hoping that it was just a coolant-cylinder leak and that I'd just have to do the gaskets and associated pieces. Now I'm worried that without doing the bottom end (especially given the 210K miles) that the rest would be worthless. How hard is it to get to the bottom end of the engine? Is it possible without taking it out of the car? (For a non-contortionist)

Be easiest to just yank the engine. Removal of the oil pan requires removal of the crossmember from what I understand.

Another question I have. The oil was about to need to be changed (it was black) so how clear would it have been if there had been coolant in the oil when I checked the oil as soon as I realized there was something wrong? How quick does the milkiness or froth disappear? I've never seen any of this before, so whatever help you guys can offer is great!

Oil and water seperate when still. Water is heavier and goes to the bottom of the pan so you wouldn't see it on the dipstick unless it was just ran. With those miles and the coolant in the oil you should do the job right or you'll be taking the thing apart again within a year. I went all out with mine when the head gasket blew. Pulled the motor. All new bearings, new pistons, rings, honed cylinders, machined block deck, machined heads, pulled timing cover, did timing chain and sprockets (if yours is original it will be very loose with those miles) new balancer (once you pull yours off you shouldn't reuse it. All new exhaust, clutch, plugs, wires, SC oil change, tranny and solid engine mounts ( a must)New radiator, water pump and a few other things I can't remember, oh a B&M shifter and cam bearings. Don't mean to scare you but as they told me, there's never enough time or money to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it right the second time. Or something like that. About the only things I reused on the motor were the crank, cam and oil pump. Got new lifters and pushrods too. O.K. I'm done!

This pic here from another member shows what mixed oil and coolant looks like. Notice the brown milky looking stuff around the lifters? Thats what your oil looks like IF the water got into the crankcase and mixed with the oil by you oil pump. Since you said your oil was black I beleive the coolant got in there when you broke the heads loose so your probably OK. But dont hold it against me if the bottom end goes out. I dont recomend not changing bearings that have that much mileage on them. The bearings arent in that good of shape even if the coolant does'nt hurt them. You may get away with it but you may not.

Attachments

• blown hg1.jpg
    blown hg1.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 166
Sorry to go off topic but:

Are those 94+ pistons? The dish of the pistons on my 91 are a lot different.

could it be possible coolant fell into your oil valley or drained into the pan when you remoived the head? I know its very hard to get all the coolant out of the head so when you lift the head off a lof oc coolant can spill into the block, might be a possibilty.

Back