Tire Question

kenewagner

I purchased a nice set of 9"x18" wheels for my 93SC. They have 255-35-18 tires on them that are way to small for my taste. The tires are wore out, and I really bought them for the wheels. I have looked over some past threads about tire size and felt that from what I read I would price some 255-50-18 tires. I was told that tire size was an odd ball size and the price was very high. I was hoping for a slightly larger wheel and tire size than what I have now (stock) The tire dealer informed me that if I step up to a 55 series that is a more common size with a lot better pricing. I guess I need some input. I want the tires to fill the wheel wells better but I dont want clearance problems. :confused:

Try this site...

www.tirerack.com

They carry just about every brand and size tire you can think of. They also have some documentation that will assist you in getting the "fit" you are looking for. (click on shopping tools for the Tech Center documents):cool:

Sure is more common-if you want to put TRUCK tires on your performance car!! Most sport trucks and SUVs nowadays use the 255/55R-18 size, so most of the tires are aimed at that market.

You can go with the 265/45ZR18 or the 245/45ZR18-the 245 will be about half the cost of the 265.

The stock 225/60-16 has a diameter of 26.6 inches.

A 255/55R-18 will have a diameter of 29.0 inches.

A 265/45ZR18 will have a diameter of 27.4 inches.

A 245/45ZR18 will have a diameter of 26.7 inches

I'll be using 275/40ZR17 rear and 245/45ZR17 front-size and circumference just about match and really fill the well nicely-I would try the 265 in the raer and the 245 up front. JMO

255-35-18 that you have now will be a full 1-1/2" shorter than the stock 16" SC tires , approx. 25.0" ... that's why they look so small in the fenderwells. Original tires are approx. 26.6".

To get something closer, try 245-45-18, almost identical to stock diameter, or 255-45-18, at 27.0" ... I have that size all around on 8-1/2" wheels on my 95. A 50 or 55 series tires in 255 width, 18" rim, will be too large in diameter for the fenders. 255-50-17 would be fine, but you need to go down 5% in aspect ratio generally for every inch increase in wheel diameter. If you want to stagger the sizes front to rear, 245-45-18 and 275-40-18 will match up very well for rolling diameter, and both will go fine on 9" wide wheels.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

Thanks for the input guys. That helps me make up my mind and keeps me from making a big mistake with to tall a tire. I am going with the 45 series tires. I havent made up my mind yet what kind yet. I don't drive it in the winter. What about rotating the tires, if you go wider on the rear than the front. :D In a 45 series tire how wide can one go on the front and not be rubbing????

Last edited:
If you go with the staggered sizes front/rear you can't rotate-the 275s will rub. 245 are as big as you want to go on the front-they won't rub and will look very sweet-especially with the wider meats out back.

What kind of money are you looking to spend for the tires? If you go with straight 245s all around you can use a Nitto 555 Extreme Performance 245/45ZR18-treadwear is 300AA and they are 168 per tire with free shipping from Discount Tire Direct.

If you want the staggered look, with the 275/40ZR18 on the back, you can get that in the same tire for 205 per tire for the back-you'd be looking at a total of $746 for all 4 tires.

Here's a pic of the tread pattern:

nithz4.ang.jpg

Well, that's the drawback of doing staggered tire sizes ... you can't rotate front to rear. Widest on the front in a 45-series is going to be 255-45-18 without any trouble. Another possibility is 265-40-18, this would be very tight width wise, and would be approx. 1/3" shorter than stock at 26.3", still pretty close.

Have a look at the pics of my car on the member page, the 255-45-18 all around fill out the fenders nicely, it's lowered 1-1/2" as well.

cheers
Ed N.

Hello

Hello,
I have a 2" lower stance than stock and run 245/45 18's.
I've also run 255/45's, and for a short time I ran 275/40's in the rear with 245/45's in the front.
Wheel01.gif

Laterz,
D Rainer

You guys answered all my questions. I have decided to go with the 245-45-18 on the front and the 275-40-18 on the rear. I really like the Nitto 555 that Birdman posted the picture of. I am going in that direction. Are the Nittos mounted to run in one direction with that tread pattern? Thanks to all you guys who posted answers to my questions. It's one reason I am on this site every day.

IC

The IC is mounted. I raised the top 1.5". I just got it ready to go to the plating shop. All the piping has been fitted but I have some welding yet. I beleive in two weeks I should have a finished FMIC that I will post. It looks awesome but has been more of a project than I first thought. Theres always some minor problem to work around. I have taken pictures of the project in stages;)

Back