Got a big Problem!!

Danielle_in_LV

Hi my name is Danielle and I've been having car problems. First problem was a leaking radiator so I got a new one and had it installed and now when the car is idle this white smoke comes out of my tail pipe, from what I have been reading that is a sign of a blown head gasket? This is my first car and I would like to get it fixed, If the HG is blown how much should I be expecting to pay to have this fixed. If any one knows of a place in Las Vegas I would be very thankful

Danielle

Headgaskets can be expensive. When I had them done on my 35th it was around $1000. On the other hand the parts were only like $250-$300. If you can do it yourself or with some firends you can save a lot of money. I am sure that someone will ask, but just to be sure. Is the white smoke really heavy and smell a little sweet maybe, or is there any chance it just condinsation?

plug check

may help to determine if head gaskets are leaking ...did my head gasket a year ago ...and was loosing coolant and had the white smoke out the tail pipe ...but after pulling the plugs ..I figured out ..that they all couldn't be leaking ...which lead me to the intake gaskets ..that was a big relief after doing head gaskets ...If your rad was leaking ..check your over flow bottle the line that goes to it from the rad cap area to the bottle ...make sure it isn't plugged full of junk..causing the rad to burst ..since it can't release the presure....watch your oil level ...and colour of oil ..if it looks like chocolate milk ..it's leaking ...a trip to a rad shop may save you a lot ...let them pressure test the system.....dave

Very common scenario. Replace radiator or heater core = headgasket replacement 1 day - 2 weeks later. Seems pressure in the cooling system is what blows out radiators and heater cores. Then the system is flushed out removing the gunk that was holding it together combined with a now non-leaking cooling system and the headgaskets let loose. Sorry to hear it. Here is a recent discussion on the subject.

Headgasket Thread.

Danielle
I'm located in LasVegas, but my son and I do all our own SC work and I'm not experienced enough with any local shops I would confidently recommend for your SC problem. Suggest you contact Kelly (fsracing@lvcm.com). He is very active and knowledgable in LV SC community and may have a recommendation.

Thanks Guys For all you help!!!

Thanks for your help, Your right about Replace radiator or heater core = headgasket replacement 1 day - 2 weeks later First it was my Heater core then Radiator now Headgasket I'll let ya know how things turn out :)

Back