392 stroker in a '95 SC

dklitzke

Guys,
A while back I saw a thread on the idea of swapping to a V-8. Since a lot of the 'Birds were built with V-8s, it shouldn't be too hard to swap I would think. Here's what I have in mind: An SVT 392 stroker (351-stroked) with some type of a low profile blower, to keep it an "SC", and not have to swap hoods. I figure I could get any neccesary periferal parts needed off a V-8 car. At this point I am not sure what all would have to be changed to put in the V-8. And with the power you get out of the stroker, and a blower added, intercoooling may not be neccesary. Any ideas or suggestions on how best to do this would be appreciated. The goal is to have it as stock appearing as possible, but with the awesome power of a blown V-8 stroker. The stroker alone produces upwards of 450 HP and lots of torque.

Don Klitzke
Prospect, TN

Well, couple of things. First of all a 94 is going to present some problems as there wasn't a 94 5.0 option. I am in the process of docementing this swap, but electrically there will be some issues.

Then a 351 motor is going to give you hood clearance problems. The 5.0 had a special intake manifold to fit under the hood of the Tbird in the first place, and a 351 is an inch higher than a 5.0. So the stock hood ain't gonna cut it.

If you went with a 347 ci 5.0 you would be way ahead. Now a 347 with a 94 Cobra intake is still going to be choked a bit in the higher rpm range, but a centrifugal blower might work out satisfactory for you. The KB kit (screw blower) will give you all the torque of big ci on a small motor, but it also requires a raised hood for clearance.

Other than that it's a slam dunk deal. ;)

Thanks, dude!!

Hey, thanks for the quick reply. I may just decide in favor of the 347. I don't want to get into a bunch of expensive fabrication/modification. I'm looking for the simplest route possible, and the 347 is a purty stout little motor from what I've read. So, you're documenting this swap, huh? Well, I'll be looking into it myself, and I'll post anything helpful that I can find. My whole reason for the swap is that it will probably be cheaper in the long run than doing a real quality build of the V-6, plus a crate 347 will be brand new. By cheaper, I mean cheaper the a Bob Johnson, Steigmeier, or Coy Miller built SC engine. The next thing I need to check on is if the 347 (or the 392) SVT crate engines are blower friendly. They may have too high of compression, or some other way not be conducive to running a supercharger. Lot of research yet to do, but my car has under 110k on it, so I'm in no hurry.

Don Klitzke
Prospect, TN

crate engine = waste of money. They aren't anything special in the first place and they won't have a fraction of the parts you really need. You need to purchase a 5.0 LX ($300-600) and pull everything out of that car. Then pick up a 347 stroker kit, good heads, and the cobra intake and you are ready to roll.

I believe you're right-no crate motor

Ya Dave, I just spoke with a local speed shop here, and he priced me a premium 347 stroker short block, plus overhaul for around $3k. Plus I would have to buy the heads and the blower, another $4k to $5k, I'd imagine, but the stroker from SVT is around $5k by itself, and it does'nt have the dished pistons you need for the blower. Then there's all the additional nickel and dime stuff to complete the job. I guess I'll have to save my money for awhile. The electronics is what is really scary to think about, though. They sell harnesses now to put late model Ford engines in hotrods, so I'd imagine you can buy the harness, and just use the computer out of the 5.0 car . . . . .plus the serpentine belt system and accessories . . . . . need a bigger radiator . . . . .

Electrical issues

Well, in my case, if I choose to go this route, the electrical issues will mainly involve adapting a V6 car to a V8, ignition system/EEC engine controls, PLUS any electrical issues involving putting an after market blower on it, like a Vortech or Paxton. The more I look at it, especially from a cost perspective, the less I think I can afford it. It would really be a cool thing to drop in a blown stroker V8 in a low profile package that fits under the stock hood, without a lot of bigtime fabrication headaches, AND without it being cost prohibitive, but I just looked at the price of a Vortech for a 1994-5 Mustang Cobra, and the kit was nearly $4k by itself. Not to mention the fact that to get the right blower package, you'd be shooting in the dark, as no kits are packaged for such a project. However, I think a blower designed for the Mustang 5.0 would be the ticket, with some tweeking. So I'd say a project such as what I have in mind is gonna run well over $10k before you get it assembled and running right. Lot's of stuff to think about, electrical, cooling, accessories, overall fit (motor mounts, etc). Nevertheless, I'll continue to look around and see what alternatives are available.

Don Klitzke
Prospect, TN

It's not that much really when you look at the costs and what you plan to achieve.

Take a stock SC 3.8. Your 94 makes 230 (flywheel)hp. What is it going to take to get that to 400hp? (which is what it takes to be able to say you have a "fast" SC)

I'll tell you.

Heads and cam - $2000
Blower and intake upgrades - $1500
IC upgrade - $1200
Tune, injectors, pulleys etc to go along with above - $1000
Chance of finding any of the "good" stuff for less used? about nil.
So you have spent nearly $5000 to make your V6 "fast". Keep in mind you still have a stock shortblock, no allowances have been given for labor or any unscheduled breakdowns, or any upgrades that could be used on your V8 project (exhaust, MAF, etc)

Now what will it take to get 400hp from a 5.0 conversion?

Donor car for conversion - $600
Intercooled SC kit - $4500
Total spend +/- $5000
probability of finding said parts cheaper used? extremely good.

Hmm. Tough choice. On one hand you have a fully bolted on V6 which can perhaps survive another 100hp if you build a $3500 shortblock to go under it and another $800 to spend on a decent nitrous kit.

On the other hand, you can take the stock 5.0 with the intercooled SC kit, bolt on a good intake and some heads($2000) and get the same 100hp and you haven't even opened the bottom end yet. Now add the stroker kit you are talking about and suddenly 700+hp becomes easily attainable. Something you can't dream about in a 3.8 SC.

I think that a lot of people are over-complicating the project. It is always tempting to go whole hog on this, but really a stock 5.0 with a supercharger is going to eclipse anything you are likely to do with your V6, ever. And then you can make the logical decision on whether or not you really need to go that extra step and if you do decide to do it you can do it in steps over time. There is nothing boring about driving a 12 sec street car. You won't tire of it quickly.

Back