possible brake problem?

ThunderDave

I just got my head gasket job finished up Monday evening and while driving the car today, the brake pedal seemed to get stuck in the pressed down position. After bumping it with my foot it came back up and this only happened a few times. Could there be a problem with the ABS computer after having the battery disconnected for a few weeks and the computer is learning to brake again or could it be something else. There was no problem with the brakes before the gasket blew. It's a 91 SC.

David

Just glad to have it back on the road again.

I doubt the computer is at fault. Sounds more like something is binding up in the pedal armature or spring that pushes it back may be broke/bent, or wires interfering with free travel of the pedal.
Look under dash and visually inspect free movement of the pedal. May help to pull retaining spring and brake light switch off so you can pull the M/C pushrod off the pedal stud. If that looks good then I would think that the spring that sits inside that rubber boot is binding up, has broke, or some debris inside the boot. Only other thing is maybe the M/C seals inside the unit have binded up somehow, which is as UNLIKELY as the computer causing this. Pulling the ABS Master Cylinder is not a fun job if you have to, though after two times in a month, I've got it nailed down. Hope that helps

brakes

There are no brake warning or ABS lights coming on. They worked fine with no problems before I parked it to do the head gaskets. I'll check those things and see if I can find why it is sticking.

Thanks for the help.

David

Brakes

The brakes are doing better and not sticking like they were. What could have caused an intermittant problem like that???

Thanks,

David

Sound like a valve in the abs system which is both the power brake booster and the abs valve assembly and the master cyl
probably agravated by the fact the car was not running for a while. If it freed itself up I would leave it alone and see if it reoccurs.

that does sound fishy, my sc was sitting for over 6 months for the winter and when i took it out my brakes didnt do that. just keep an eye on them

brakes

Ok, thanks for the info guys. So far they have done good and haven't had the problem anymore. I'll keep an eye on them though.

David

Back