Couple of Questions for the SC Experts

carlislesc

A few basic things I'd like to find out on the 90 SC.

1. My ash tray does not have a light. Seems odd for no light. Is this correct from the factory?

2. To the left of the clothing hangers on the pillars are two round plastic cut outs about 1 1/2 inches. What are they for?

3. What were the models that had the Ford CD/Radio combo that just plugs right in? I'd like to get rid of the slave CD set up. A Ford part number gets you 'ahh' extra credit.

4. What models had the cup holders that can be placed in the slave CD slot? Does it just push right in with no mods?

If you know them all you are da man. By the way, for some party trivia, if your Cassette/Radio has a #6 pre set botton and not a clock button in its place, your 90 SC was not equipped with the CD slave from the factory. Correct me on this if this is bull.

#1 - All Thunderbirds came from the factory without the lamp for the ashtray.

#2 - Those cutouts are Quarter Trim Panel Access Hole Covers

#3 - The plug-in AM/FM/CD are 94-97 Thunderbirds as an option-the same unit can be found in the Taurus and Windstar.

#4 - The models that you can place the cupholders in the slave CD slot are the 89-93 Thunderbirds.

FYI-If you have a slave CD then you have the JBL system-and you'll need to either hookup your factory amp or buy another one. The info about the #6 button and the slave not being installed at the factory is incorrect.

the models that had the cupholder are the 92-95 tortus and sable, when i was at the junkyard the last time, i happened across a 92ish white sable with red interior (was looking for the steering column surround) and wanted to see if it was the same, well it wasnt, but there was a coin/cup holder sitting right on the drivers seat, already taken out of the car, cost me $3 :)

you do have to modify it though, you take the coin holder out and put it on the bottom, take the cup holder out and put it on the to, and grind a little tab off the top of the cupholder which prevents the cup holder from coming out more (you must do this, or your cup will be crooked and sitting up against the A/C controls) also you must remove the bar that holds the bottom of the cup, as this doesnt go down far enough on the bird to work, but either the width of the cop (20 oz ones work perfect) or the console top, keep the cup from falling out.

you can kind of see the ground off tab in this pic, its near the back of the cupholder, its in the center of it, back where the gray areas are

cupholder.jpg

That's odd...

My '92 SC (AOD) has two bulbs for the front console ashtray, one at the front right corner and one at the left rear corner. The ashtray has a translucent plastic piece at each of those corners that allows the light from the bulbs to illuminate the tray. I can't think of any other purpose for those bulbs because they are underneath the plastic console and hidden by the ashtray. There are different bulbs that illuminate the AOD shifter positions, so they aren't there for that purpose...

I appreciate the responses and need to clarify a little:

The question about the ashtray should be is their no light when you have a manual trans?

In relation to the combo unit, based on the Ford electronic operating guide for 90, one was available (hell if you can find it and double if it works) that should just plug in with no amp mods. Correct?

The party trivia thing comes from page 26 (bottom) of the manual above. Wording makes it appear you need the slave CD for the clock button option on the cassette/Radio unit.

carlislesc said:

The question about the ashtray should be is their no light when you have a manual trans?
I have a 5spd in my 92 and I have a light for the ashtray.

Calvin

carlislesc said:

In relation to the combo unit, based on the Ford electronic operating guide for 90, one was available (hell if you can find it and double if it works) that should just plug in with no amp mods. Correct?

The party trivia thing comes from page 26 (bottom) of the manual above. Wording makes it appear you need the slave CD for the clock button option on the cassette/Radio unit.

I bought my 91 5-speed used so... take grain of salt now.
My ashtray has the single bulb on the left hand side that LJGriggs discribed.

It also came with a Factory AM/FM/CD indash (non-slave, non-cassette). Clock worked fine. Not sure what you mean by the "clock button option". The CD player gave up the ghost a while ago and has since been replaced. Along with the pathetic little amp mounted on the underside of the back deck.

i noticed in my 93 aod tonight that it does in fact have somewhat of a light in the ashtry, while maybe not a light per say, but there is definately light coming from somewhere that illuminates the front left corner of the ashtray when the lid is open.

JBL

you need to have the JBL premium sound option ...as for the radio/cassette has the plugin for the CD player ...non JBL premium sound system ...have a different head unit ..without the extra plugin for the CD player..also will need the cable that runs to the CD from radio ..doh! ...that the slave set up ...on early models...for factory one piece combo units ..I don't think they made one for Tbirds ..and the one ford is using now is a huge unit
need a really big hole to put it in ...something that's not available in the SC ....as for the ash tray light ..that's on the bottom of my rear view mirror :rolleyes: ...dave

A couple of good ideas in this thread. Adapting the Taurus cupholder to the SC and rear view miror light usage. Always wondered when I would ever use that light. The next question becomes did you only get this light when you had the sunroof option?

Back