What is a Cobra differential worth??

Mike Combs

It has an aluminum case, 3.27 gears, accepts 28-spline axles, traction-lok, and was pulled from a front-end wrecked 1999 Mustang Cobra with 5k miles. It is a direct bolt in for a 89-97 TBird/Cougar and Mark VIII. How much is this worth??

Are you looking to buy or sell? If selling, drop me an e-mail, I'd like to purchase it for my brother. I bought one with about 9K miles on it for somewhere around $225 shipped.

Thomas

Thats about what I figured. I was guessing it was worth about $600 because of its mileage. It seems that I was overwhelmed with people wanting to buy it, but no one making a good offer.

I guess I am better off keeping it. Otherwise I am going to spend more money putting a posi into my old 7.5" (80k mile unit). And it will give me the best rear-end that is available for my car, it is almost brand new, its a posi, and it has the same gear ratio my car came with so I don't have to worry about changing the speed sensor gear.

Thanks for the help guys.

i'd say it would be worth around $400 or so.

you can get aluminum ones with 3.73 gears for around $550 to 600 if you keep your eyes open

and stock ones with 3.27's that aren't aluminum go for around $250.

my $.02

Jeff

Id say Thomas' offer is more reasonable than what everyone else is saying, maybe a little low for that few miles. New ones may go for $500 or more, but youre always gonna pay a markup for something new. $250 for a standard used posi 3.27 rearend is ridiculous, I got one for $85.

-Travis

well, i think you got lucky and a heck of a deal on your pumpkin.

for what its worth, I'll buy as many regular pumpkins with 3.27's as you can find me for $85, and all the aluminum ones with 3.27's for $225 shipped that anyone can find me. :D

Jeff

Shipping was $50. I've just been watching Ebay for months, waiting for a good deal. The 99 Cobra pumpkins are hard to find, and most dismantlers want to sell the whole rear subframe (axles and all) because they can get more money out of the Kit-Car builders. So they dont like seperating out the differentials if they dont have to.

yea, i know about the kit car builders. my neighbor is acutally building a AC cobra kit car.

i've been looking off and on, but tend to find them around $350 to $450+ shipping.....guess i'll need to be more vigilant on ebay if i want to find a good deal.

Jeff

You know why you got it for that much????

You got insanely lucky. I was planning to bid on the same unit, but eBay motors was down for almost an hour before and after that auction ended. You are just lucky that eBay turned the seller down when he complained about the fact that no one could bid on his item and he had to take the measly $210 that a bidder placed a day before. And you know there were many people trying to bid at the end.

Trust me. There were two other people in my neiborhood that were pissed off because they couldn't bid.

jasonLmarsh said:
I just picked up an 8k mile Cobra pumpkin for $211 + shipping. What a steal!

Pissed off in Mike's neighborhood...

Amen...now I have to try to buy Mike's unit off of him :D. Don't know what you had for a max bid on that item but if the page would have loaded for me I would have put up 250 for it before the 60 the guy wanted for shipping, and I'll bet you there were guys that would have outbid me by a ways. You were damn lucky!

Brian

Last edited:
Back