bad antifreeze???

Jeremy_K

I just started noticing a white fluid sprayed all over my engine compartment. it looks like someone threw milk into my fan. i've noticed it a couple times. i checked all my hoses and i have them on tight. it almost looks like the antifreeze is seeping out at the top radiator hose even though i clamped the hell out of it. could this be something about to fail? my coolant level is fine and i haven't seen any coolant on the ground. thanks

I have no idea what would be a white fluid in the engine bay. Sorry. I'll keep thinking about it.

But on the upper hose leak, if the hose is old sometimes they fail from the inside out. In other words they get thiner and thiner as time goes by from heat cycles. Make sure the hose doesn't feel really thin. If it does it would be wise to just replace it before it fails.

Hows the snow up north?

Ive seen this 2

I went through the same thing in the summer time, it only happened twice and it just stopped, so I dont know how to fix it just know it can happen.

Rich M, the hose is fairly new but it doesn't seem very thick. this stuff looks like battery corrosion around where the upper hose is clamped onto the radiator. by the way, we only have snow on the mountains up here. still dry as a bone on the flatland.

I think it might be...

I think it could be the radiatior, Im pretty sure mine could use some change, thats exactly what it looks like is its shooting through the fan, Id check the radiator

two clamps

I had a similar problem. When the car was really hot, a fine mist of radiator fluid was being sprayed out of the upper hose where it connects to the thermostat housing.

The housing has rib about an inch from the end. I have a clamp on either side of the rib now and now problems. The residue looked whitish when dry.

Bob

I don't see too much radiator fluid that is "Milky White" in color as you put it, except as coolant mixing with oil. Pull your dip stick and see if it is "Milky White" as well as the color of your coolant under the radiator cap just to rule out something that know one wants to hear. Did you add anything special to the water/coolant, like baking soda or a cooling additive? Then again it could just be water stain from hard water.

Back