Sealing oil pressure sensor

Digitalchaos

I believe I have determined the cause of my low oil pressure @ warm idle. Today the problem was significantly worse, after sitting a couple days due to leaking thermostat. While investigating the thermostat before taking the car for a wash, I noticed fresh oil leakage down the side of the sender port.. a leak. The sensor was replaced by the previous owner and apparently not sealed well. This caused air/oil and hence pressure leakage enough to present itself at lower engine RPMS.

First, how much pressure is this costiing? Does it significantly impact oil circulation within the engine?

Next, what is the proper way to install this unit and seal it? How was it done from the factory? I would like to avoid the use of RTV after seeing its poor resistance to expansion/contraction & coolant.

Thanks..

Its also possible that its cracked. Mine gave out that way; had a heck of time figuring out where the leak was. So, for the $6, I'd recommend to go ahead and replace it. You should be able to seal it with a 2 wraps of teflon sealing tape which, if you don't have any, you can get at any hardware store in the plumbing department.

Ok it looks like the metal armeture which pipes pressure to the sender may also be leaking at the block.

What material is this constructed of.. copper?

How easily is this removed, and how would I seal this end?

Also, any aftermarket part available for this; perhaps one that doesn't extend as far to make accessing the pressure sensor w/o removing the PS bracket possible? It seems that if the sensor were only back an inch more, the bracket would not be in the way.

Thanks again..

Yes you can it's just a steel nipple. A pipe wrench takes it right out. I took mine out when I took the block to the machine shop. I used permatex #2 to seal the threads when I reinstalled the pipe. That stuff will seal oil real good.

elimination

I wonder if it would be possible to eliminate this pipe entirely & insert a sensor or plug into the block itself?

Does anyone happen to know what size the hole in the block for this pipe is?

TbirdSCFan said:
Its also possible that its cracked. Mine gave out that way; had a heck of time figuring out where the leak was. So, for the $6, I'd recommend to go ahead and replace it. You should be able to seal it with a 2 wraps of teflon sealing tape which, if you don't have any, you can get at any hardware store in the plumbing department.

Mine did the same thing and was leaking under the plastic cover over the body (tight fitting so you really can't tell). I had the IC and accessory bracket off and plugged the fitting with a 1/4"NPT pipe plug until I found the crack in the sender.

Jeff

Back