What to do with a SHO motor??

MTTod

Bought a wrecked 1994 SHO. Finally got it running today and now I need to figure out what to do with it. Gotta be some good idea out there.

Thought about putting it in a wagon. I've seen a couple of SHO wagons and though it'd be fun to have a 200+ HP family truckster.

Will any RWD trannys bolt up to the SHO motor? That'd give me a whole bunch of options.

Haven't seen that one. Did see a couple of Tempos with the SHO motor. What about a Probe?

Aparently the Aerostar bellhousing will bolt to the SHO motor. I found an article on a guy that put a SHO motor in an Austin Healey. He used an adapter and bolted a Mustang T5 tranny to it.

http://members.cox.net/rdgrauman/Healey.html

what to do with it-

id say take a long chain or strong rope, tie it on securely, and use it as a boat anchor.

lmao-mike

just a joke

I'd go with the sho wagon. I know you have to do some suspension work and you have to stiffen the frame of teh waggon to hold the output of the SHO. I actually want to do this to my dad's taurus waggon since SHO's seem to be readily available at my local bone yard. But he's gonna have to wait until i finish toying with my birds until I take his project.

Only thing I'm still undecided on is the weight issue. Taurus wagon is about the same weight as my SC.

How about stuffing it in a Tempo? That should move pretty well. Either that or how about an MR2 with the SHO motor? Stick a widebody kit on it.

Now that you mention it I have seen one in a Tempo/Topaz on the web too. I think I surf the web too much. :)

If you can convert it to RWD with the above mention aerostar tranny. I'd say stuff it into a Merkur XR4Ti - fairly lightweight, tons of aftermarket suspension and brake type stuff, RWD and IRS.

Ford actually built a prototype or two of that configuration in '88 or so to see if there was a possibility of extending the life of the XR4Ti, and spread the development cost of that motor across more than one carline.

I didn't know the Merkur was RWD. I know some people didn't like the look of the car but I did. That might be an option.

What engine did those have stock?

Ranger :) if you are going FWD I'd go with a NECO (new edge cougar) if the engine will go in a probe it should fit in the cougar as well. Otherwise, XR4Ti is a slick idea.. or maybe a Mustang SVO if you can find one with a blown engine. Or if you could find a Tempo/Topaz 4 wheel drive that would be pretty neat...

Same power train as the Turbo Tbird and Mustang SVO, 2.3 liter intercooled turbo.. the Merkur was between 190-210 hp I think

We have 2 blown SHOs in TX and some other around USA. They develop a trmendous amount of power. Beet another SHOmans turbo (GN) firebird twice. Somewhere the video is posted. They had some big dyno numbers.

Because of that I have wondered about sticking it in a SC if could get a tranny to work.

I like the idea of a SHOgun or wagon. One man here in TX is doing that. My wife likes the newer SHO wagons.

Is it the 3.0 or 3.2?

Most of my activities in TX are tied with the SHO guys because their club is so strong.

www.shoforum.com (National club)

http://www.shoforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=14&DaysPrune=10&submit=Go (TX guys)

Our new combined group of SC and SHO and Probe owners in TX:http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/fordbastards/

It's the 3.2 so there's more work going to the 5 speed. Unless I've missed something in the conversion to the T5, the crank won't accept a T5 or MTX without machining.

I did find a Probe with the SHO motor but looks like a really big job and a very tight fit.

How about a mid-engine S10 Blazer? Still have 4 seats, just no cargo area.

Wonder how it would do in the old old Saab 99. Some of those early ones had a Triumph engine until they got the Saab engine developed. I like the old ugly model 95 that looks worse than the old beatle VWs. But model 99 are in yards and have a good body with built in roll cage etc. 4 wheel disk with quick change pads.

On the other hand why not another SHO MTX and put the larger engine in. Lot of SHOmen do that. Lot of parts available for the SHO and the SC wheels fit. tbird88 might even make some mounts for them.

Get a dune buggy frame cheap, or old Covair Spider and make mid engine. S10 mid engine sounds good too.

I'm outa hear.

I did see a Cobra with a SHO motor. Looked really cool too. The SHO motors look like a high dollar import motor... Lambo or Furry, something like those.

Back