Engine installation problem

35th T-bird SC

I can't get the splines to go together. I got the engine and bell housing about two inches apart and tried for two hours to get it together. I tried lifting up and down on the engine lift and up and down on the floor jack on the tranny. I barred the motor over at the damper to get the clutch splines to turn and match up. I don't know whats going on but I gave it up till tomorrow. What next?

Did you use the clutch alignment tool? Also I had to take the motor mounts off of my engine to get it to line up.

you definitely need the clutch alignment tool. if you did use it then the only advice i can give you is to double and tripple check to make sure nothing is in the way and you might want to leave you motor mounts loose and just keep messin with it. it took me a good 30min. to get mine lined up properly and was still about a half inch from being together. i just put the bolts in and slowly tightened them and it went together no problem.

Yea I used the alignment tool. I'll give it another shot today. I also took the mounts and brackets out the engine comparment.

Idea

Get two long bolt for what ever size your using, cut of the heads so you can use then for alignment. screw them in where there easy to get out. Hopefully they engage before the clutch pilot. Because this is where you can tell if that's the probablem your having. They will help to keep the tranny aligned in every dirrection. And make it easyier to Identify where it's not straight.

Me and the guys who helped me put my engine in struggled with this same problem. Finally we gave up and just took a couple min. to pull the transmission out and mate them outside the car, then dip them in as one unit. MUCH easier.

I got it. I got it close enough to use the bolts to evenly bring it in. I went down to tighten the tranny mount bolt back up(had it loose to have tranny play front to back) and I noticed my driveshaft touching the first heat shield about two feet behind the u-joint. Is this because I have it up on ramps? I'm thinking when I take it off the ramps it will rise a little and not touch.

Hopefully it fell in up to about the last 1/8". If you had to use the bolts and some force on the wrench/ratchet to bring it up more than say 3/16"... that's bad. If it was 1/2" or more, you probably bent something.

Well I got it close enough that the threads all started. I didn't have to crank on the ratchet either. I didn't hear anything bad going on inside the bell housing. I also turned the motor at the damper with the tranny in neutral and it turned fine with no noises.

Back