Rusty driveshaft

35th T-bird SC

My drive shaft is extremely rusty. It's soft when you squeeze it. The rest of the underbody is fine. Has anybody ever replaced a drive shaft because it's rusty. Also is there a good chemical out there that I can just spray on and disolve or turn rust into a black primer?

let it go. It is much cheaper than a new "lightweight driveshaft" :)

You can find the rust converter at most local parts stores. They have a spray and a brush on one. You will have to get the excess rust off first and then cover it with the rust converter. It will prevent any future rust for the most part.

if your driveshaft is rusted so bad that it is soft and brittle youve got problems. they sell a rust converter like was said be4 that will turn it black primer.

or if you have the resources you can do this...:

Attachments

• shaftsmall.jpg
    shaftsmall.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 191
My drive shaft is extremely rusty. It's soft when you squeeze it.

that may be something you keep personal, or just buy a blue pill for it. j/k

im an idiot sometimes but seriously, if your drive shaft was soft you prolly wouldnt be able to drive it anywhere, itd either twist or disinegrate(sp?)

Nice, what did that set you back? Where can you get a drive shaft (stock style) and how much do they cost? I think I'll just wire brush it and put chemicals on it.

35th T-bird SC said:
My drive shaft is extremely rusty. It's soft when you squeeze it. The rest of the underbody is fine. Has anybody ever replaced a drive shaft because it's rusty. Also is there a good chemical out there that I can just spray on and disolve or turn rust into a black primer?

lol if its soft when you touch it. i would higly doubt its strong enough to move your car

Muraitic acid works very good. I sometimes have to use it on old junk blocks ppl drag in that have been sitting outside in the rain for years. You can watch the rust fall right off. Just spray some on and let sit for a few mins and rinse. Your done after that. No scurbbing or anything.

at any hardware store. It's normally used for cleaning sidewalks.

And if you have any elft over after cleaning the driveshaft through some in a 20oz bottle with some little bits of tin foil and toss it :D jk I don't condone explosives...at all...nope.

-Thomas

NR94mtSC said:
if your driveshaft is rusted so bad that it is soft and brittle youve got problems. they sell a rust converter like was said be4 that will turn it black primer.

or if you have the resources you can do this...:

your bed has surround sound?

lol Thomas. Make sure you only use it on steel or cast iron. Tin foil and muraitic acid don't get along very well.

XR7 Dave said:
Where do you get this stuff?

You can also get it at pool chemical supply shops. Used to etch concrete pools before painting.
Muriatic acid is a 10% or less solution of Hydrocloric acid (H-Cl). But it will not "convert" rust. Muriatic will clean the rust off, along with a little of the metal.

35th T-bird SC, if your drive shaft is as bad as you say. I would suggest pulling it off and taking it to a trany shop. Some of them are equiped to make new driveshafts to the proper length.

Last edited:
lol yes my bed does have surround sound.

the shiny on my driveshaft is actually the stock driveshaft out of my 94 MT SC.

I did some work on my buddys camaro (bout 500 bills worth) for free and he hooked me up.

His dad has a Hard Chrome and Nickel shop. does parts for harley ...blah im rambling but anyway. two nights and two cases later of spinning on the lathe with a sander then pollisher she was ready for a bath. first the HCL then soap then water then Electroless Nickel. Then a nice clear coat to keep er like that.

If you want that done youll be droppin about 7 - 8 bills .

Chris

Back