saving to put a 5 liter into my car

SCobsessed

:)

I am saving up to do some major work to my 89 SC. My plan right now is to drop a crate 5.0 possibly 347, into it. Anybody have any suggestions? I havent done any research yet im just starting.
Thanks for any input

Keith

I don't know why you'd want to drop in a crate 5.0, they have less power. But if you are going to build it up with aftermarket stuff that it may be plausable. If you're going to do the 5.0 best way to do it would be to find a junked 5.0 bird or cougar with all the engine wiring, computer, gauges, etc. and just swap it all over to your car. For more help you might check out TCCoA (once it's accessible again, they're having problems with hackers) and ask the guys in the 5.0 section. There are also a few people over there who have swapped 347's and other carbbed motors into the bird so they'd be really helpful to talk to also.
-Thomas

well im sure your going to need motor mounts, sounds like a fun project, did you blow the SC's 3.8? You may want to talk to a guy "Pro Street Rich" on these boards. Think hes got a bigblock in an sc, and could provide you with info. Are you going with a manual tranny or auto? A 5speed on the 5.0L would be awesome, and a 4 speed for that 347 would be killer!

hey

No the 3.8 isnt dont yet but its getting tired
Its a 5 speed, so I really like the idea of putting a fairly high reving V8 into it, I basically decided because Of the cost to turn the 3.8 into what I want, by the time its rebuilt and pleasantly breathed upon I could afford to put a 347 in there.
Thanks for the input fellas:)

All this talk about 347's is silly. If you can't afford to put together a strong 3.8 then you can't afford to put together a 347 that's gonna be worth a poo. By the time you put together a 347 and the parts to put it in your SC, you will not be able to afford the supercharger that is going to be necessary to outrun a V6.

If you want to save money you put in a bone stock 5.0 and supercharge it. Either a vortech or a KB. Either way it's not going to be cheap. 350rwhp in an SC with the V6 still in it is not all that expensive.

That being said there will be information on doing the swap available soon. ;)

hey

thanks for all the input guys
did some pricing for things, no matter what I do the car has to be torn apart....and im going to be spending several thousand dollars. but from the looks of things getting the 5.0 engine that I want wont be as cheap as I have been led to believe. SO for the cost of the rebuild for the engine, plus three hundred and something HP woth of new parts: Im thinking XR7 dave is right.
We will see....it will be a while before I can afford to do this anyways...hopefully this summer.

Im thinking XR7 dave is right

Of course he is. But once the idea of having a 5.0 is in your head it is sooo easy to get carried away because of the almost endless possibillities. That's the beauty of the 5.0.

Kurt

Back