F-15 Blown Tire Results on landing (if true)

Doug Franklin

From a recent email sent to me:

> Lakenheath jet crash last September as jets were returning home from a
> 7 week deployment to Nellis.
>
>
> The last jet to land blew its left main tire immediately upon
> landing. As a result, the jet (while still in its nose up roll out
> configuration) severely
> listed and twisted to the left. At 150 knots that's not good!
> The jet slid sideways, nose down, and as it careened along
> the side of the runway, the front end dug into the ground
> causing the jet to stand up on its nose.
>
> At that point, the fuselage broke apart just forward of the
> intakes and aft of the rear cockpit and then bent around and
> underneath the left side of the aircraft.
>
>
> When the jet finally stopped, the radome had separated from
> the fuselage which now faced back towards the rear of the
> jet) and was laying about 20 feet away from the wreckage. The
> nav pod and adapter ripped off and were buried nose down in
> the ground. The pilot received cuts, scrapes, and bruises.
> The WSO didn't fair as well. Both his arms were broken and he
> also had numerous cuts and bruises. Based on the wreckage,
> safety said the aircrew was lucky to be alive.

Attachments

• safe49.jpg
    safe49.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 955
i dont think they would allow anyone to get near with live explosives there ( the missile) and also the lack of security.

Interesting Doug...

I would have to share the same curiosity about security, and the fact that it does not even appear to be roped off for inspection...Then again I am not familiar with AF policies, although from past experience with them they seemed to be very thorough with their paperwork, and quality Assurance. THey do have some ground support gear way outside the area, so it would be tough to rope off the whole site...

Being a former member of Crash Crew/Salvage....We would go to crash sites and gather as much dubre as we could and make a rough sketch of where everything was located in distance/position after taking several photos, then you bag all that chit up and make a big pile in the hangar bay for the crash analasys guys to come up with a clear as mud assumption of what happened, or most times it is used to compliment what they have already pulled from the avionix flight data.

Doug...It was funny in a way....My old squadron we had a aircraft #531 that crashed, and when we got a new jet to replace it the CO told the paint guys to number it 531 AGAIN...BIG NO NO in aviation...Anyway guess what aircraft we lost that same year AGAIN...Yep...531...

I once saw TWO pilots eject from a trainer F-18 during a landing...I saw the whole thing to...Everything looked fine, they touched down, then BLOOOF!!!! there they went, and there went my jet down the runway with no pilot...It was funny....That jet just cruised down the runway off into the dirt and chit, came to a stop and just sat there running...I ran to the aircraft and took a look at the indicators and all was well with everything...Except it was saying that there was a seat problem....LOL...The pilots claimed that the seats just blew on their own, yet I saw that the handles had been pulled....I never heard anything else on it afterwards...

Anyway...Sorry for the novel...I get ramling when talkin' Jets..

Brad

Well felt like it was lagit because it came from a friend who is an airplane mechanic who got it from one of his work buddies who had a friend at this base. So I have a little tracability on this. Spoke in email like real. Sorta hard to get this stuff as a lot of mishaps are not reported or shown to news folks in military. It is on base and I suspect it is before any ropes put up. I saw a skin on the leading edge of an F-16 riped off and beat the whole side but it flew home. Almost grounded the fleet and boy were those guys scrambling because they did not want the news out. I saw the pics though taken imediatly after it landed.

I get suspect of a lot of email stuff but I think this is lagit.

Back