HG done; Idle at 2k

tbirdboy

Checked all vacuum lies, IAC has been replaced and tubes are sealed. What hell is going on? This **** is driving me crazy!

TPS could be out of range...

Check the voltage of your TPS, it may be over the limit and causing this...

If it is out of range just get a file in the mount holes so you can get the correct postion and make your adjustment that way as opposed to buying a new one...

Cheers

Brad

sounds like an intake leak somewhere. There seems to be un-metered air coming into the motor, causing it to have a hight idle. Double check your intake seals, rear plenum seal, and all the IC tubes and top which should be sealed with copper silicone sealer.

I don't think an intake vaccum leak or any leak at all would make the rpms go high like that since the car has a maf; I think a vaccum leak would make it idle rough at lower rpms and/or even make the car stall. I would check the IAC, and maybe the TPS.

SO WHAT IF IM WRONG!!!:D

Headed out there right now, gonna pull the blower and check the intake bolts, reading somewhere that they should be at 20 ft/lbs instead of 11lbs. Going out to also check the TPS too. Though beore the HG it idle good. Go figure.

Will check back with anything that worked.

Also replaced the ABS pressure switch with resolve my hard pedal issue but in the process broke the plastic 5 pin connector mounted below the resevoir. My blind doo-daa stinkin' luck.

Anybody got some Epoxy?

like dirtbike, an air intake leak, would cause the engine to run a little lean, and raise the rpm's. Thats just my experience, but I could also be wrong as well. Try testing the IAC, or even the IAC screw. 3 days ago i started my car after a cam and head swap, and it idled at about 1300...i played with the IAC screw on my 75mm TB and got it to a sweet idle of 850.......got to love the lopey idle.

It's your IAC! Did you buy the IAC from Ford or from an auto parts store? Some IAC's wont work on the SC because they actually have to be installed backward in order to work correctly. I would suggest putting your old IAC back on and trying it before you go tearing back into it.

Love that lopey idle too but on a Mustang not my Bird. Preference I guess. Anyway I think I found the culprit. EGR gasket was all gushy with residue from the prior gasket still around. Some pro I am. No wonder when I had the carb cleaner spraying around back there the idle would flucuate. I just saw it upon pulling the blower and there it was. Also found the lower lip of the rubber intake tube being cut in half. Could be a small contribution towards a ****** idle.
Started her up and she must have still had some memory in the EEC as I didnt remove the battery post terminals. Idle high for a minute with the EEC try to work its way down. It was down to 1k by time I shut it down. We will see what happens later today as I have to get my *** to work. Hopefully she'll work herself out. Then there is the rack and pinion, and the front oil seal, and new injectors and the ....

tbirdboy said:
Checked all vacuum lies, IAC has been replaced and tubes are sealed. What hell is going on? This **** is driving me crazy!
If its a new IAC, then be sure you installed a valve-closed model, not the standard aftermarket model which has the valve open. 90% of aftermarket units are valve open and are made by Borg Warner, are not usable on the SC and will cause the idle to race. I got my replacement from Ford, but I've heard that Advance or Carquest or someplace like that has the right ones.

To tell you the truth SCfan, I bought a used one from a fellow SC'er off of the parts-for-sale forum. Got home yesterday with the idle racing at 3200rpm, hard and strong. I thought I was going to throw a rod or something. Pulled the IAC and stuffed the hole with a rag. Wouldnt run at all. Cleaned the gasket and mounted it back on. Idle was back to normal for about twenty minutes then crept back into the mid 1700's but does go back down after a few seconds. But that still isn't cool. I guess a new IAC is in order. From a Ford dealer. We will see....

If it is idling that high then your IAC has to be bad. Put old one on and see what difference it makes. My IAC went bad and thought it was a stuck open injector as it idled at 2500 - 3k. Got a phantom O2 sensor code, and it dumped HUGE amounts of fuel trying to compensate. New IAC and back to normal.

Back