What CD Player Will be a direct swap?

SlushNaz

I've heard of people having trouble with putting Cd players in cars becuase they're not compatable with the system or something? Does anyone know any Cd players that will be a direct swap in a SC? I already have the OEM CD player in it and it just sucks so i'm thininkg of upgrading any suggestions ? I already searched the forum and i didn't find anything.

i never really heard that for tbirds. Ive got a panasonic ghost face head unit in my sc.

you may be reffering to the stock JBL system...with the amp and such not being compatible. That is true .....but you just need a $6 part from BestBuy* that takes care of that. I remember it being a bypass harness for the amplifier...took 10 minutes to do that.

hope that helps a bit

If you have the JBL sytem with the separate CD and tuner, as far as I know there is no aftermarket replacement for just the CD part. A far better option IMHO is to replace both the tuner and CD with a nice aftermarket in-dash CD or whatever you want.

The only difficulty is that with the JBL system, the wiring is not like a typical factory stereo, because it has a remote amplifier and subwoofer. I see Walter said there is a adapter for that too, so I guess that's pretty easy too.

yea, you have to lay in your trunk facing up to get the harness in place, its a big pita....sounds easy but wait till to get in there. Im about 5'8" tall 145lbs and i was cramped trying to get it plugged in. Like i said, probably a 10-15 minute job for just plugging a couple things together, hehe.

Any regular DIN size unit should work. All you need is a harness that plugs into your OEM harness. Go to any Stereo shop, and they will be able to hook you up with the correct harness.

Then you will have to crimp the wires coming out of the new unit to the wires of the new harness (they are ANSI color coded, so unless you are color blind you should be OK), then plug the new harness into the OEM harness connector. The same goes for JBL or regular units. IIRC the Harnesses made for the JBL system will delete the built-in AMP. I dont remember anymore, as I took the amp and SW box out when I put a Clarion in my 35th.

Exactly what everyone is saying
U will need one Aftermarket - to - Factory Wiring harness
U will need one Amplifier By pass cable and make sure
when getting the harness you specify if it had premium
sound or not because the speakers had their own little
connector which u will need, very easy 20 minute job.
If the car is 89-93 style then the cd player will be a little
crowded with all the wires behind there but its do-able
:cool: Best way is get a 4channel amp then run RCA's
Saves so much space behind the dash and sounds better
:D

SC UL8R1990 said:
yea, you have to lay in your trunk facing up to get the harness in place, its a big pita....sounds easy but wait till to get in there. Im about 5'8" tall 145lbs and i was cramped trying to get it plugged in. Like i said, probably a 10-15 minute job for just plugging a couple things together, hehe.

I'm buying a Kenwood and I want to keep using the factory sub and speakers. Is this the solution the? And what are the harnesses I need. The install shops around here don't know, for the amp set up anyway.

Back