Getting Antenna up & down W/ Radio on/ off

matt59

Any one no how to wire it so the antenna goes up when radio is turned on and down when it's turned off?
I do have that feature on my stock radio, also I have a push button antenna.

OEM electric antenna

What year car are you talking about? There are 2 different antenna operating systems.

I wanted my antenna to do that with my aftermarket radio. Back in '89 virtually ALL the aftermarket decks would run the antenna up when any part of the radio was turned on. That means that when I listened to Cass. or CD, the friggin' antenna would be up. I decided that it was better to use the antenna switch to run the antenna up when I wanted to use AM or FM.

I dunno if modern decks will run the antenna up ONLY with AM/FM, or they still run it up for CD too. If your deck activates the antenna ONLY with AM/FM, then you'll probably have to get an antenna that's compatible with your head unit.

I know that the early antenna system is NOT compatible with the Auto Ant. lead on most decks. The early system worked by reversing the polarity to the ant. motor (ie: run the motor backwards). All the aftermarket systems I looked at apply 12 volts to run the antenna up, & remove the voltage to bring it down.

68COUGAR

Last edited:
oh

oh im sorry, i misread that post. i thought u meant have it up when the radio is off. mine is wired so it goes down when i put in a CD when the radio is off, i wish i knew how though, a shop did it.. sorry-

Back