Non SC 3.8 w/ SC

cptnwoody02

ive been tryin to find a SC motor localy and no luck :( i was wondering can i strap on a non SC 3.8 and just change the intake and simly drop in the SC ??? or is it more of a pain in the arse?

While you could do that, durability would be questionable. Ford found it necessary to upgrade just about every part in the SC engines. Over on TCCOA there's an article that details the changes.

So the thing probably won't go boom as soon as you turn the key, but it probably won't last as long as you'd like either.

BTW this assumes you're working with a non-Split Port engine. The intake for the SC won't fit a Split Port head.

:eek:what exactly would i have to "modify" on the 3.8 in order to get it to last?? i know the heads gaskets oil pump and water pump, but what else has to be changed? or is it better just to find a SC motor?:confused:

WHAT TO DO ???????????????

THE BOTTOM END WOULD BE THE WEAK POINT...YOU COULD GO WITH A 94/95 PULLEY TO KNOCK DOWN THE BOOST KEEPING IT 6/8 LBS MAX WOULD WORK ON A N/A MOTOR CHECKOUT THE STANG GUYS AS THAT WHAT THEY DO ON N/A MOTORS....FAST FREDDIE:confused: :cool: :D :)

(YOU COULD GO WITH A 94/95 PULLEY TO KNOCK DOWN THE BOOST KEEPING IT 6/8 LBS MAX WOULD WORK ON A N/A MOTOR )

What pulley are we talkin about???

WHAT TO USE

THE BLOWER PULLEY FROM A 94/95 ON A 89-93 WILL KNOCK DOWN THE BOOST.....IT WILL TURN SLOWER....FAST FREDDIE;) :D :cool:

noooo!!!!

no no no, the n/a engine is completely different. i looked into this. then i met a guy who tried it he finished, turned the key and it blew up. not just boom, but blew up. he said he even had to get a new hood. and the entire motor is trash. call any frd dealership and ask a mech.

turned the key and it blew up. not just boom, but blew up.
That's just plain silly. It's not going to just blow up. You will have some problems with things like the crank trigger and knock sensor though. The N/A motor isn't drilled for these things. Also the damper needs to have a reluctor ring which the N/A one doesn't and you cant' use an SC damper on an N/A motor.

Last edited:
This question has been asked a thousand times before. Do a search and you will find allllllll of the answers/ reasons not to do the swap. They are two different beasts with the same look and cid...Trust us they are different.

Chris

what did gaston end up doing with his mustang? did he use split port heads and the eaton?

Jeff

Parker Dean said:
While you could do that, durability would be questionable. Ford found it necessary to upgrade just about every part in the SC engines. Over on TCCOA there's an article that details the changes.

So the thing probably won't go boom as soon as you turn the key, but it probably won't last as long as you'd like either.

BTW this assumes you're working with a non-Split Port engine. The intake for the SC won't fit a Split Port head.

Like the others have said. DON"T try it. The n/a heads will work but the bottom end won't hold at all. The SC blocks have alot thinker casting for the extreme pressures the bottom end is put under. And bigger main caps too.

Just a minor correction...

I'm pretty sure that when Gaston built the "Green Monster", he used a SC block and crank with custom rods/pistons/rings. He went with the 99+ Splitport heads that he custom ported himself. Obviously he utilized the splitport intake that was ported out and topped it off with a Vortech, not the Eaton.

He had mentioned that he would have liked to use the eaton but the splitport intake manifold is too high and he would have had to resort to having the eaton protrude though the hood and reconfigure belt routing.

Although we all know why an Eaton would not work on a N/A 3.8, it is possible to do the swap, but only if the owner was to have a custom supercharger pulley made that would limit the boost to about 6psi max. The 3.8L injectors just cannot flow as much fuel as needed. Let's also not forget the custom computer tuning needed. And yes, the owner would need to do something about the distributor cap, as it would interfere with the supercharger.

All of this effort, and you still wouldn't make the power you desired. By the time all of the work was said and done to get it to work you could have done several things:

A. Dissassembled the N/A motor, ported and polished everything, punched out displacement, fitted larger valves, cammed it up and turned it into a high revving HP maker. If money was left over, you could purchace the Vortech and slap that on top.

B. Swapped in a Real SC motor.

C. Swapped in a V-8 and blown both Option A and Option B away.

there was nothing silly about it. if you saw this car you wouldn't be talking.

Dave is saying that it's silly to suggest using a 3.8 NA motor would result in an explosion. I agree it's silly.

The explosion was caused by something that was done wrong, not because it was a non supercharged long block.

David

I find it hard to believe myself. Only way I can think of is a NOS expolsion or something. You could use a n/a 3.8 block but the cost for all the upgrades would not be worth all the expense.

I wonder how a newer 4.2 block would do. From what I have seen of them they seem just as stout as the 3.8 SC blocks. Be nice to have those extra cubic inches too.

about SC N/A's

XR..hows it going buddy. Listen, i was just going threw some threads here on the site, im a mustang enthusiest by the way, and i couldnt help but notice all the threads about how you "cant" put a supercharger on an N/A motor. Not to single you out, but you seem the most knowledgeable on most subjects for these guys through out the forum. However you can SC the mustang, and if you find good used parts, for quite a cheap price. Ive had my 3.8 stang supercharged now for about 5 1/2 months, and with the exception of a few high intake temps due to the location of the IC, which im working on something special now, and getting a good tune for air/fuel, it was actually a very painless, smoother operation to do. Now all these guys who claim it will blow up or did blow up, need to learn that the gas line doesnt fit in the cylinder with the spark plug..know what i mean ;) It is obvious that mechanical experiance and patience is needed for the task and i thought id share my project with you in case you might have any questions or even suggestions. But ive put it to the floor quite a few times, and i assure you there are other mods..quiet serious ones done to the engine as well, and itll get on it. The bottom end is bone stock as well as the heads. If you're ever curious as to exactly what it takes buddy feel free anytime to email me, or ask over the forums, and ill help you out if you know one attempting this..ive even got some pics on hand. With that in mind, have a great day man..ill tty later

Back