auto seatbelt overide

trife86

hey guys on my 89sc the drivers side shoulder belt is stuck in the forward position. i cant seem to find what panals to take off to find this override knob that i can turn so it will be in the position where the door is closed. any info or pictures can help
thanx

are you sure it is stuck, It could be because the door isnt shut all the way.

If it is stuck, roll down the window, shut the door, From the outside, Pull back on it, when it becomes free, just grease it.

well let me rephrase it the motor died. im sure of this but im looking for the knob so i can put it in the back position.

is this what i have to turn, if so which way clockwise or counter
seat2.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, the knob that you circled what you need to turn. To access it, remove the small panel located below the armrest in the sail (quarter) panel. You'll be able to tell which way to turn it (if it doesn't move one way, turn it the other way).

-Rod

that little access panel is very small... the knob is too hard to turn by hand i figure ill try tommorow with a set of vicegrips. i cant even fit 2 fingers of same hand to turn it i had to put one finger from each hand to fit in there

You can pull the whole side of the interior trim off fairly easily to get better access. An electrical motor rebuilder should be able to put new brushes in that motor and get it running again if it's a simple electrical problem.

well i just bought the car about a week ago and the owner told me the motor went up in smoke on him so i doubt it.
there got to be a way i can crank this thing on my own.

Last edited:
You can pickup a complete replacement belt and track from a u-pull yard pretty inexpensive. I'd check one out close to you so you can see how easy it is to replace in your car. you can find the systems in 89 Cougars and Standard Thunderbirds.

Otherwise if you feel you can only do it through the little hole you might try a small strap type wrench. Slip the strap over the top and use the additional leverage to crank it back.

I had this problem when I first purchased my car. I found the knob too hard to turn with my fingers, so I put on a pair of work gloves, shoved my fingers in, and was able to turn it with excessive force. After the first few hard turns, it gets easier.

Also, unless the previous owner actually saw smoke, I would not doubt entirely that your motors still worked. My seatbelt was in this same position. When I finally turned the knob back, to my suprise the seatbelt went right back to the open position when the door was reopened. After greasing the track, checking the stop switch at the end of the track, and performing several other tasks with no success, I decided to reset the ABS computer. On the left panel of my trunk behind the carpet, I removed the plug for the computer for a couple minutes. Then I plugged it back in, turned the keys on, and closed the door. The seatbelt has worked flawlessly ever since!

Hope that helps...

well i tried with work gloves now and ill only be able to spin it maybe 1 more rotation, how do i take off the whole panel where the motor is in instead of using the little "access panel" maybe ill have more luck this way

i tried to take it off, i took all the screws out but the panel is stuck between the speaker and the door it feels like stuff in there is holding it

Last edited:
I'm not sure what panel you are talking about. But the one i mentioned is a piece that runs from the floor (you need to pull the rear seat) to the roof and along the trac for the seatbelt to the front.

There isn't a smaller panel. You don't need to completely remove it though. Just pull the rear seat and unscrew enough to get the bottom of the panel out a bit so you can get behind it and the seatbelt motor assembly.

Back