Xr-7 vs. Rx-7

thundercougar

A buddy of mine that is always talking smack about My cars just got a 1987 Rx-7 1.3 5speed. And said my car has just become absolete< LOL

My question is, I know my sc can whip it badly, but what about a stock non sc 3.8?

Thanks ahead of time

RX-7

I lived in Japan between '85 & '89. I drove a buddys 5-spd RX-7. It had a rotary engine, but I don't know what size.

It had absoutely NO TQ, below 3000 rpm!!!. I mean the thing could barely move itself. But 50 yards down the road, All HELL broke loose!!!!!!! I mean that on a roll, it smoked the tires & got all kinda squirrely!!!!!!! Rotary engines don't make much low end TQ & need rpm to really start working well.

I've never driven A n/a 3.8, so I don't know how well the tranny shifts. In '89 the n/a 3.8 Cougar had 140 hp @ 3800 and 215 TQ @ 2400.

68COUGAR

I think the Thunderbord would win, the rx7 has like 60 lbs of torque (sarcastic) but problly close to that... the only plus is that its lighter than the tbird

My buddy used to have an 88 N/A ReX back in the day.. We raced from a dead stop when my old SC was bone stock.. To say that i beat him would be an understatement. I was in 2nd gear and already 10 cars out before he gave up..

Yes! someone else actually called it a Rex!

Anyway, I would have to agree, they have no gonads to begin with, but will scream like no other after 3000-3500 rpm. You should be long gone by the time your buddy can do anything.

stephen

I own both of these. My '87 RX-7 (non-turbo) is "quick" but not brutally fast like the SC.

With no low-end torque, it still goes pretty quick because of the 4.10 gears. At 3800 rpm, things really start moving too. However, these cars run about a 8.0 0-60. The stock SC will run 7.0.

These 2nd generation rx7s aren't all that light either. Compared to the SC they are, but compared to other cars in the class, they're kind of heavy.

Running down back roads, where your top speed is 60mph anyway, I could do better in the rx7 every time. Anywhere it's straight and you can stand on it for a while, the SC will win.

Last edited:
Back