New Motor Mounts.........WOW!!

Mack92SC

Had new motor and transmission mounts installed today. Feels like I got a new car! I have to admit, I was a bit skeptical about new mounts correcting the irratic low idle situation that I read about on this forum, but low and behold, the idle has returned to normal! :D I had planned on doing the job myself, but with the temperature below zero here, I decided to go ahead and pay the Dealer his three hours labor to do the job. Seemed reasonable to me until the phone call. Seems they drop the subframe to change the mounts unlike the way I have read about here. Back to the phone call. One of the welded blind nuts on the subframe broke loose and was just spinning around. That little problem added 2.5 hours to the job. :mad: While the right mount was still in tact, the left was in two pieces and looked like shredded wheat! All things considered, I'm a happy camper!! Vibratons - gone! Engine shake - gone! Low idle situation - gone! I swear it even handles better! Now for four new ARC Shocks.......I'm gonna' count my change!!

Mack
92SC
191,000 miles

Many have had similar results to you after changing mounts, including myself. I believe dropping the subframe does make for less disassembly, just hard to do at home as you might imagine. I recently had a large thread on this subject.

Differential mounts are also a good thing to change at this time..

Congrats. The subframe way is quicker for the shop mechanic since they have a lift and air tools. For the driveway mechanic like most of us, you have to work from the top and bottom. But the effort is usually well worth it.

how much did you pay the dealer to install your motor mounts? i need to get mine done too or do them myself.

Yeah, differential mounts will be next, after a new set of shocks!

The Dealer charged 3 hours labor for the engine mounts and the transmission mount..........$195 + tax and shop supplies........$219.95 total.

Mack
92SC

P.S. Add another 2.5 hours for the sub-frame bolt problem..............but then they washed and waxed the car and gave a free loaner for 2 days!

that's not too bad. I called a mercury stealership and they quoted me $450 for EACH side!!!!!!! Looks like i'll be gettin my hands dirty.

Maybe you should try another Dealer. I received the same quote from 2 local Ford Dealers...........just a thought!

Mack
92SC

Did you go back with OEM mounts on the engine or did you go with solids?

Thanks

Went with the solid mounts. After seeing what was left of the hydraulic mounts, there is no doubt in my mind that I made the right decision! Just think.........if Ford had the forsight to use solid mounts in the first place, there would be a couple thousand less threads on this forum, and a hell of a lot more happy owners! But then.....WHO KNEW!

Mack
92SC

Thats cool to hear Mack.
My engine is flopping around in there about 6-8 inches, so I have parked mine until I get at least the drivers side fixed. I am glad to hear that a lot of what problems I have will be a bad memory after I fix mine.

AMEN! Honestly, mine were bad for so long, I can't believe what a difference it makes! Can't wait to install new shocks.. .......hit a pothole today and knocked three fillings out!! ;)

Mack
92SC

So the dealer actually sells the solid mounts or did you buy the mounts from somewhere else and bring them to Ford?

Shane

question on doing mounts using a lift
I found some solid mounts at napa for $31 each. i've heard using a lift is much easier to do the mounts. has anyone done them this way? i do have access to a lift and air tools. what do i need to remove to get to them? thanks -jeremy

Hey Jeremy, I still need to do mine in a bad way also. I haven't had the time. Been extremely busy at work with all these airplanes needing work. I was hoping to have mine done by now so I could give you an experienced hand but no such luck. I will have them done by the end of this month for sure. I will be doing the diff mounts also. Possibly the tranny mounts as well. Then it's on to the suspension and all the front bushings. Anyway, if I get mine done before you I will give you a hand with yours. Shouldn't take more than 10 to 15 minutes tops!:D

i'm gonna go buy mine today at napa. i can use the auto hobby shop on base which has lifts and air tools. if you want, you can bring your car to the base and i can get you on base to use the auto hobby shop. i think it costs like $5 per hour for the lift and the tools are all free to use. my mounts are bottomed out and have been since i left NY. let me know what you wanna do.

Purchased a kit from MN12 Performance. It include 2 solid motor mounts, solid transmission mount, 4 new bushings and 4 new sleeves for the transmission crossmember mount. $120 delievered.

Mack
92SC

NMxr7SC said:
i'm gonna go buy mine today at napa. i can use the auto hobby shop on base which has lifts and air tools. if you want, you can bring your car to the base and i can get you on base to use the auto hobby shop. i think it costs like $5 per hour for the lift and the tools are all free to use. my mounts are bottomed out and have been since i left NY. let me know what you wanna do.

Just ordered mine last night from spinningwheels sc. Aren't the mounts from NAPA taller than stock? That is what I thought. Anyway, I plan on doing mine in the hangar at my work. Have all the tools I need there, minus the lift. Hopefully I will have the time this coming weekend. Let me know how it goes with yours.

Darkside said:
Just ordered mine last night from spinningwheels sc. Aren't the mounts from NAPA taller than stock? That is what I thought. Anyway, I plan on doing mine in the hangar at my work. Have all the tools I need there, minus the lift. Hopefully I will have the time this coming weekend. Let me know how it goes with yours.

Yes the NAPA ones are a little taller than stock ones. I think they were around $50. I replaced mine when I did the HG's. I went to solids. The driverside was completely split in two and the passengerside was still good.

I just put new motor mounts in my car a few weeks ago and can attest to the difference.....

the pass side was destroyed, came out in chunks and the drivers side which had already been replaced with a solid mount 4 years ago was ready to let go any day...

feels like a brand new car :)
next up, tranny mount and differential mounts

Back