unhooded

ThunderDave

Just wondering if anyone has ever driven their SC bird or cat without the hood on and maybe a cone filter. Did you notice any better performance with the filter getting more air? I was thinking of a way to take the air filter cone or in filter box and position it in a way that I could use a ram air scoop. The only problem would be keeping the rain out. Any thoughts or ideas????

David

Last edited:
I was thinking of making a scoop on the bottom I believe right below the right fog light. On my 94 theres a (approx) 6x4inch whole in the skirt on both sides. The other day when I had the car in the air I saw the 9inch cone just happened to be about 4 inches away from that very whole in the skirt. So I figure if I can create the scoop with walls so that it force all the air to the right where the cone is, there should be some power gain. Not sure if anyone else has done this or not.

no hood

I was talking about a way to put a scoop on the hood for a ram air effect. What you are talking about sounds a lot easier to do. I've looked at a way to run some piping from the air box down to the front of the car and it doesn't look like it would be that hard, just placing the opening. What were you thinking about using to direct the airflow towards the filter.

David

I havent had the time to actually start the process of figuring out what would be used for the scoop itself. But the scoop would be all thats needed, with the cold air intake the cone sits really low in the wheel well. Right below where the airbox would be, my cone is attached to a maybe 7x3inch (approx) crome pipe. If I look in through the 4x6 whole in the skirt the 9inch cone is sitting right but off to the left about 4inches there just waiting for the air. I'm probably describing very poorly, I'll try to take a pic for you. Actually I think some one in the members page has the same intake that I do. Hope this helps

I drove mine without the hood and it makes no difference. It was cold here and I have the conical K&N. From what ive read the best setup is a short strait pipe with a devider from the engine heat. Then run a 4 inch tube from the air box opening and end it just before the filter. Less drag. Blowers dont like to suck though long straws.

I am looking to buy some small headlights so I have room to make a ram air strait into the cone, no bends. For track car no headlights at all.

Now if someone beats me to this so much the better.

Back