What kind of fluid?

35th T-bird SC

What kind of tranny fluid do I use for the five speed/ATF what? Also can you use that same stuff in the power steering reservoir?. Haynes gives a Ford part # for the power steering fluid but what is it equivilant to at the store?

Generally speaking the earlier 5 speeds came with just Mercon ATF. Later models (presumably because of the shifting problems) came with synthetic ATF & 4ozs of friction modifier. Personally I've had very good success with Redline "MTL" synthetic gear oil + their synthetic friction mod. (i.e. 247,000m in my '90 & 195,000m in my current '93, without any trans problems whatsoever). However, Redline now recommends their D4 synthetic ATF for our car and I know others that have successfully used Mobil 1 synthetic ATF. So I would recommend at least a good synthetic ATF + the friction modifier (same as used in the traction loc. diff). Mobil or Valvoline synthetic ATF is going to run you $5+ a quart; whereas Redline is atleast $8 and, not always readily available retail. You'll need 3.15 qts total; so 3qts of fluid and 4ozs of modifier just about does it. Also get yourself a very long filler tube that screws onto the quart bottle, because it's easier filling the trans from the engine compartment (behind the driver's side valve cover).

For the steering, almost all modern vehicles (except Honda) use the old "type F" transmission fluid. I use this to flush out my steering pump, but you can't just leave that in the steering system because so called "power steering fluid" has several additives added to the base "F" fluid. So you can use regular PSF from your local parts store or again invest in Redline's synthetic or other after market improvers like Lucas or Wynn's additive. If you pump is noisy or leaking then try the Lucas, it worked for me.
Jim.

When I had this one shop put a new tranny in for me, i wasn't sure how many quarts it would take. So i bought 6 quarts of Mobil One ATF and the friction modifier. They pulled the shifter out and dumped all 6 quarts in until it cam up to the shifter. LOL. had to drain out a bunch. :)

noisey steering pump

I've heard it's ok to add a little Marvels Mystery Oil to quiet a noisey steering pump. Just a thought if your pump is really loud.

David

Back