Help my abs!!!

SlinginBeauty

hey everyone. Im still having problem with my abs that i cant figure out and looking for some input. A few weeks ago my ebrake light and antilock light started to come on in my car. It usually happened when cold, and they would shut off after a while. When the lights were on the break pedal would rise and stiffen giveing little presure available to the wheels. For the last week or so whenever i would use the break the lights would like up, then the break light will go out, and then the anti lock, while i still have complete pressure. Ive read about it being the accumilator pump or possibly the relays going to the firewall. When i shut off my engine sometimes i can hear the pump still running. To make sure it doesnt burn out ive been unpluging my battery everytime i stop, which seems to work. I was pretty sure it had to do with the pump so i was going to replace it but the last 2 days both lights have been on and wont turn off, with the pump running and normal breaking pressure? Im confuesed. Why are the lights on when they are working? I dont want to go replace the acc pump if its something else like relays, valve leading into the pump, or the abs computer itself shorting out. Any ideas. The next step it to take it to a shop and have them charge me money to hook it up to the abs machine and tell me some bs that pro wont even work. Please help. I need my breaks to be reliable(even thought its a ford). lol. THanks all for your help. Zach

mine did that too last week the e-brake and the antilock light
why the e-brake i have no idea. but i got a new set of front brakes/rotor's and it fixed it, maybe your front setup has seen better days?

I would suspect the accumulator is taking a dive(the black orb against the firewall). Go to www.priorrman.com and order a new one for about $90. Also instead of pulling the post and erasing all of the memory pull the anti-lock motor fuse in the engine compartment fuse box.

Also do a search of this site , looking for Duffy Floyd's doc on ABS brakes. GL.

Sounds like a bad relay...

Typically, if you hear the hydraulic pump running after you have turned off the ignition, that is the sign of a "stuck relay". Try replacing the ABS Pump Relay (aka Brown Pump Relay) located over by the firewall on the passenger side of the engine bay. It will be dark brown (hence the name Brown Pump Relay) and black, and should say ABS Pump Only on it. Check with your local parts house to see if they have a GP Sorensen MR120 relay. This is a direct replacement and should cost around $15.00 (US). That might be the cause of the ABS and Brake lights flashing when the brakes are applied, but most often the flashing warning indicators are a sign of a failed accumulator. The accumulator is a steel "bulb shaped tank" that has a dry nitrogen bladder inside. The accumulator is pressurized by the hydraulic pump and then maintains the system pressure between pump cycles. It is critical to replace a faulty accumulator to prevent over-cycling the pump which will ultimately cause system failure. You can get a new accumulator for around $100.00(US) from Prior Remanufacturing. Ask for an accumulator for a Teves MarkII ABS. Brown Pump Relay and Accumulator failure is common on systems over 10-yrs old.....

ABS pump relay

Hey LJGriggs, Just went to purchase a relay earlier today and the salesman didn't have the GP Sorenson MR120. He did suggest the MR15 which is similar to the stock except it can handle 20amps instead of the 10amps which is what the stock relay is rated at. Should I get this relay or go find an MR120.

Thanks,
Brando

Brake relay switch

The cheapest fix is trying the brake relay switch. My car was doing the same thing. Autozone $15. The switch is located in the back left corner of the car near the gas relay ti's brown.. Good luck!

I beleive i know the right relay. there are 2 right next to eachother on the back firewall of the passenger side. The ? is which on is the abs and what is the other one?

I'm thinking accumulator too. That's what it was in my situation, but I never made it to the stiff pedal/pump running when car was off. Just lights. But ya never know with these cars.

Back