HELP...engine blown need opinions

DyingtoLive

well lately i have had nothing but problems with my car...i just repalced the water pump and timing chain which put a nice dent in my wallet. i got the car back and drove it from mississauga to london...everything seemed fine, a day later my car started stalling whenever i was stopped while it was in gear...so i figured the mechanic might have messed something up so i call him up and tell him im bringing my car in for him to check cuz something isn't right

So I'm driving back from london to mississauga on the 401 and engine temp started to get higher and higher and when i steped on the gas there was no respose and before i knew it i was stranded on the side of the highway...

so i get a tow truck and $230 later im in mississauga at the shop and drop off my car and that was that. Well now the mechanic is saying a spun the main bearing and the engine needs to be rebuilt for a nice price of $4000. well, thats not going to happen i cant afford that. I guess heres my questions....

1) do you think it could have been the mechanics fault. could the timing chain cause the engine to blow?

2) what do you think i could sell my car for with the engine blown
91 SC completly stock
Blue with black leather
130 000 km
car is almost perfect inside and out

3) if i do spend the money on the engine do you think i could get it back if i sell the car soon after.

4)what would you guy do in this situation

Im just really confused about what to do right now and out of a car.

thanks in advance

Chris

Chris,

I find it hard to believe that you would spin a main and not know it. It would most likely knock like a SOB!

...Judging from your mention of the engine temps going haywire before she shut down, I'd suspect you may have blown your HG's, and perhaps the mechanic means that he's found the bottom end to be contaminated with coolant, and suspects you've damaged the bearings. ...I don't know. Did you have any indicator lights come on in the dash? ...Like a 'Check Engine' light? ...What was the oil pressure gauge doing just before she shut down? Was she blowing an unusual amount of smoke/steam out the exhaust pipes?

Regardless, if you're in for an engine, you can rest assured the car with a blown engine is not worth very much at all to anyone. Sadly, most guys would consider it a 'parts car'. If you were to handle removal and replacement of the engine yourself, you might be able to knock down the price of the repair by $1500 to $2000. I don't know how much you're into the car for now, but consider that even if the car is mint, with a perfectly good engine, it's likely worth $5000 to $7000 tops. If you pay $4000 to get the engine rebuilt, I doubt you'll get that money back out of it. If you decide to rebuild the engine, I think you need to have it in mind that you're keeping the car for a good long time to come.

I have to ask... Why did your mechanic replace the timing chain? I've got about 160,000 km's on my motor and the chain and gears are still original. I've seen many other motors go over 200,000 km's on the original chain. Our cars have a tensioner system which helps take up slack as the chain wears. This setup seems to be very effective at lasting a good long time. Is it possible your mechanic doesn't have a clue about these cars?

Regards,

Sean

Is it possible your mechanic doesn't have a clue about these cars?

I think that sums it up right there.:cool:
A timing chain with a 130 000 is odd it's not like the old 302's that had a problems with them. what I wounder is did your mechanic seal it back up right or not maybe you have a leak there and thats how coolant got in.:confused:

In answer to your questions...

1)mechanics fault - possible (nobody's perfect). An improperly installed timing chain can blow an engine, BUT it would be immediately after you start it up....unless your valve springs were really bad.

2) 130 000 km, blown motor....not much. "It's still a '91" (that's the excuse potential buyers will give you)

3) you will NEVER get the money you spend on a car back when you sell it, period.

4) most would probably get the car home, find out what's really wrong with it, discover the HG's are gone (probably your car's problem) and replace them....for about $1500 (I think? guys?).

Ask yourself two questions.

1) how long do you want/need to keep this car (also, consider if the car has any special meaning to you)???

2) how much money can you really afford to spend to get it going again???

I am thinking the new waterpump may have had something to do with the car overheating. IF it overheated the headgaskets probably went. In running order the car could probably be sold for around $4500-5000 if it is in good shape. If you sold it now I'd guess $1500

Almost sounds like my story... in the sence my motor went at 118,000kms. I cracked a piston inbetween the piston rings.

Don't believe $4000 for a re-build. I was told that was what it was going to cost me for mine and I got it done for half of that, and it was punched out .30 over with Forged Pistons.

PM me, I know a good guy in the city who knows his t-bird (I pick mine up from him tommorow)

-Sam.

I Know how your feeling

My previous car went and I picked up a 90 XR7 from my brother of all peopple. told me all I had to do is finish off paying morana for the new power plant and instal it. I needed the car so I pulled out the savings and spent $1300 for the engine and $1500 to get it installed just to find out the tranny was gone. I thought of selling and realized that I would not get my money back so I figured I would hold onto it and keep hopes that I will get a tranny someday. Luckily I have an understanding wife.

I figure that unless your willing to go through the hassle and money of trying to prove the mechanic is at fault you better off trying to get as much out of the car as you can and find a new one. That is of course you can find a better price for the engine.

Back