Engine Rebuild

SuperCoupe007

Hello guys/gals, I want to do a complete engine rebuild. I am thinking of keeping the stock rods and pistons. I want to port and polish the heads (using the same factory size valves) and a mild camshaft. What type of questions can i ask machine shops to make sure that they know what they are doing ?? and what are parts that you guys would recommend on getting aftermarket rather than OEM [ upgrads (aftermarket oil pump, rocker arms, harmonic balancer etc. etc.) ] i am going to balance the engine. I am not looking for be the fastest SC, just want more power.. 325 HP ~ 375 HP is my goal (if thats realistically possible keeping a stock configuration).. I want do the job right the first time. I need all the help I can get guys.. Thanks in advance.. :)

You can keep the stock rods but you might want a bore job with new pistons depending on miles and cylinder conditions etc.
I'm going through the same thing with about the same goals.
David N. put it best that you don't need forged pistons/h-beam rods IF everything is running right. Mainly the fuel system.

Most here are running a BHJ balancer but you will need an aluminum crank pulley. Not sure if I will do this or not.

I am going to run total seal rings and 4.2L mls gaskets and arp headstuds but other than that the rest is close stock.

To get to that power level it will take a good heads/cam package and then all the MP bolt-ons. And 42lb injectors minimum, and a good dyno tune/chip. You can do it, I plan to.

Hey T-bird4vr would a new bore job depend on the condition of the block ? or it this a must when rebuilding the block and put new pistons ??

I have heard about the BHJ balance, but i also heard its a lot of work to get one in place... so i am not sure about it.

When you say "total seal rings" do you mean put all new rings on the pistons or are you referring to something else ???

I wanted to do an "O-ring" on the heads, would it be good to put those 4.2L mls gaskets you are using, and what are the advantages ??? ....

Someone told me that i could get away with using the stock 30 LBS injectors with the ported heads but that i would need either a 190 or a 255 fuel pump, what do you think ???

Do you think it would be wise to have the heads ported and polished to see what type of flow numbers i get before having a custom cam grinded ???

Thanks T-bird4vr
:) :)

Hey T-bird4vr would a new bore job depend on the condition of the block ? or it this a must when rebuilding the block and put new pistons ??
I'm not T-bird4vr but maybe I can help you. Boring depends on the condition of the block so your machinist will have to check that before you will know.

I have heard about the BHJ balance, but i also heard its a lot of work to get one in place... so i am not sure about it.
The balancer is not a hard job if you have the engine out for rebuild anyway. Yes you will have to have the balancer honed to fit your crank properly.

When you say "total seal rings" do you mean put all new rings on the pistons or are you referring to something else ???
Total seal rings are a brand of gapless ring sets. The 2nd compression ring is composed of 2 rings in the same groove and you orientate the 2 ring end gaps 180 deg out of phase from each other in effect creating a gapless compression ring. These ringsets cut way down on the compression leakdown thus keeping cylinder pressures up and cutting way down on cylinder pressure leakdown through the ring gap. Very good rings! I highly recomend them.

I wanted to do an "O-ring" on the heads, would it be good to put those 4.2L mls gaskets you are using, and what are the advantages ??? ....
Foreget O ringing. I'm not to sure about those 4.2 mls gaskets as being any better than the Felpro's. My brother inlaws F150 with the 4.2 which has those mls HG's on it are blown with 57,000 miles on them, so I'm not convinced there any better but they might be.

Someone told me that i could get away with using the stock 30 LBS injectors with the ported heads but that i would need either a 190 or a 255 fuel pump, what do you think ??? The injectors will be fine until you really start stepping up the motor. The fuel pump is a good idea that way you're ready for any other mods when the time comes.

Do you think it would be wise to have the heads ported and polished to see what type of flow numbers i get before having a custom cam grinded ???
That would help but its not mandantory

Hey MIKE 38sc, I'll see what the maching shop tells me about the boring..

I take it, the machine shop should know what needs to be done to install the BHJ balance, shouldn't they ??

Total Seal Rings sounds gooooood to me.. where could i find some ???

The reason why i was thinking O-ringing was because i had heard so much about it, and lots of people using it, but if its not that good, then i'll look for other options...

Thanks MIKE 38sc

Last edited:
Back