PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Thudding

5spd94SC
02-01-2004, 07:06 PM
Hey i was wondering if anyone notcied a loud thud noise coming from the clutch everytime it gets put into first gear and shifted into any other gear. Does anyone know if this is normal? Thanks for your help!
Dave

Mike Puckett
02-02-2004, 07:35 PM
It shouldn't thud. Maybe the slave cylinder or the pressure plate isn't releasing correctly. Could it be new clutch time? >75,000 mi?

99GSXR750
02-03-2004, 10:25 AM
Is the thud coming from the clutch or the rear of the car? If it's coming from the rear that means your differential bushings (and may be mount) are probably shot. I have two SC's and have had to replace them in both cars (just the bushings).
Mike

5spd94SC
02-03-2004, 05:28 PM
hey thanks for the replies, but it really is coming from the clutch and it was replaced about 20K miles ago and it has been kept in great condition..sounds like everyone else is as stumped as i am

Mike Puckett
02-03-2004, 07:04 PM
How does it feel when it engages? Does it thud when it grabs? Does it grab late? There a couple of small inspection holes on the driver's side of the bell housing. If you could get it on a lift and check it with a flashlight, maybe you could see it. As I see it worst case scenario is a broken pressure plate and best case is you need to bleed the hydraulic line. Did they replace the slave cylinder? Hey, maybe a slave cylinder bolt fell out and it's moving around, the cylinder that is.

5spd94SC
02-03-2004, 08:14 PM
it still grabs just fine, no hesitation or anything. and im not too sure about that slave cylinder being replaced or not. I just bought the car a couple months ago and the lady who owned it before me had the clutch work done. But other than the thudding it engages and shifts fine, i just hear a thud everytime it grabs the gears, mostly with first gear, and sometimes through the rest of the gears.