PDA

View Full Version : ABS sensor cable question...

lrsudog
02-01-2004, 09:00 PM
I've switched to 93+ front spindles on my '90 SC, and want to use the 93+ ABS sensors as well, but the plugs on the end of the cables are not compatable with the wiring in my old chassis.

Any thoughts on cutting and splicing the old connectors to the new cables? Are they just regular copper wires inside, or some special mumbo jumbo Hall effect sensor wires? If they are copper wires, wouldn't a good soldering job and waterproofing work?

Mike8675309
02-01-2004, 10:51 PM
The wire is just wire. Hall effect sensors generate a voltage so it is important to not dramatically change the resistance in the wires. Your solder joints need to be very good and small. Use high quality solder.

lrsudog
02-01-2004, 11:41 PM
Excellent. Thanks!

Mike Puckett
02-02-2004, 07:30 PM
Cover your connections with heat shrink tubing, too. The solder will go to hellinahandbasket down there in the elements. Best would be a lead free solder and use plenty of heat and extra flux. Hall sensors are polarized so maintain correct wiring when splicing.

lrsudog
02-02-2004, 09:36 PM
I may have to guess on the polarity. Unless the wiring color coding is the same from both years, or the sensor behaves like a diode, I can't think of a way to guess ~~~/neg.

Any suggestions?

Mike8675309
02-02-2004, 10:25 PM
The sensors have keyed connectors to ensure polarity. So if you just maintain which wire is which way based on the connector you should be o.k.

lrsudog
02-02-2004, 10:46 PM
That's the whole problem in the first place. The connectors are not the same.

Not only are they not the same, but the connectors swap genders as well, so that the "New male" plug end in the cable must become the "old female" socket end to mate with the "old male" plug end on the chassis.

Mike Puckett
02-02-2004, 11:24 PM
The easiest way to check the polarity is with an ohmmeter. I prefer using an old fashioned needle type over a digital for checking semiconductors. Using the Rx1 or diode test scale check to see if the resistance is different depending on which way you connect the meter leads. Are there 2 or 3 wires?

lrsudog
02-03-2004, 02:55 PM
It's a two wire cable, and if the Hall effect sensor behaves like a diode, I should have no problem.

If it behaves like a DC generator I can figure polarity that way as well, and compare the "new" cable to the "old" cable output. A significant PIA either way though.

I'm really surprised that this hasn't come up before, but I guess most guys haven't bothered to switch to the longer "New" sensors. I'm pretty sure I have to, since I swapped in the Cobra hubs and the ABS stator ring is further away from the spindle by about 1/2".

Sucks to be groundbreaking.

gldiii
02-03-2004, 03:48 PM
Several of us have swapped the spindles and were able to reuse the shorter original sensors with no problems.

On my 'Stang front hubs I just need to move the exciter ring down to be flush with the back of the hub. They were just presseed on.

More info:

http://host.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34799

The EVTM for the appropriate year may help with which wire goes where on re-using your old connector.

lrsudog
02-03-2004, 06:19 PM
That would be the best way I think. How did you slide the rings inward (toward the spindle) without chewing them up?