PDA

View Full Version : Correct orientation of lifters in block?

Mike Puckett
02-02-2004, 07:23 PM
I didn't realize that there was a difference so I didn't pay any attention to it when I removed them from the old block. There is a notch/port on one side of the lifter that I assumed matched up to the oil port on the lower side of hole in the block the lifter rides in and that this supplied oil to the lifter. Is this correct or should it go the other way and be on the top side away from the oil port and is used to carry oil to the other side of the lifter as was told to me by a knowledgeable engine builder? I'm a little confused but so far the consensus opinion is in favor of my way. Could someone that knows absolutely for sure please enlighten me? Interestingly, the cam, block, and lifters each came from a completely different engine and yet when assembled together each lifter roller is absolutely dead on the money in the existing track on the cam lobe. They're not off a 1/1000.

wezar
02-02-2004, 07:37 PM
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38943&highlight=lifter

see MIKE 38sc's post in the thread above. Apparently it does not matter.

Mike Puckett
02-02-2004, 07:58 PM
Thanks. After reading the entire post though, I think I'll replace the lifters and rods.

Slysc
02-04-2004, 11:18 AM
ALWAYS put the rolling wheelie things down towards the camshaft.

jasonLmarsh
02-04-2004, 11:37 AM
Mike, I've seen them installed either way on these engines. I dont think it matters too much.

David Neibert
02-04-2004, 03:26 PM
Mike, I've seen them installed either way on these engines. I dont think it matters too much.

Ditto....

David

Mike Puckett
02-04-2004, 11:31 PM
10-4. Thanks Dan, I needed that! The new lifters and pushrods will be in tomorrow. This has turned into the proverbial nightmare. "Just needs headgaskets" my hynie. Have you ever wanted to thrash somebody just for totally trashing something. Geez! Out of the original engine in the car I'll be able reuse the oil pan, timing chain cover/ oil pump, and one cylinder head. Good thing I've got 2 spares.