Aod, transpan, shift kits and fluid.

thundercougar

On my reciently aquired thunderbird lx, I had to replace the starter, while I was under it I noticed trans fluid everywhere, I pushed up in the trans pan and it had the "Oil Can" effect. When I pushed on it, I hear air and seen some fluid gush out of it. Also the trans pan had a 2 dents and road rash.

I was wanting to know if there is any type of upgrade pan I can buy?

Also, While I have it up in the air, What type of Trans Shift kit do you guys suggest? Also, What other types of vehicles have the same trans that I can cross reference from? AOD 89-93 only???

Also, What type of trans fluid do you guys suggest? Ive been using Type f cause thats all I had, I was thinking of getting Trick shift. But I would like to hear your guys opinions.

Thanks alot ahead of time.

Personally, for your car I would just replace the pan with one off of a used transmission as long as it was in good condition. Aftermarket aluminum pans are available from several sources, such as B & M and TCI, but if you hit an aluminum pan like the stock one was hit it will break. More important would be to install a transmission cooler to keep the temp down. Type F tranny fluid should never be used in a aod trans. Type F doesn't have the proper friction properties for an overdrive. I would use the proper Mercon/Dextron lll, you'll be fine. A pan off any aod will fit, all aod's are the same case-wise.

i have a Trans-go shift kit on the street and strip setting and i am very satisfied with it. it does have a little bit of a harsh downshift into first though.

Back