'70 SS 454 Chevelle, My cousin's 3 month project.

Doug Franklin

My 2 cousins up the street did a pretty good job turning this into a SS 454 Chevelle. Started as a hull with mild engine from a Vette to be one of their cars to show off. Then he decided to sell it part way thru, so his brother stepped up to help him finish. I need to take some better pics when they are done.

Attachments

• dsc00564.jpg
    dsc00564.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 281
Last edited:
I will get better pics when they get thru putting new cam in which smoothed it out nice.

I appologize for my Chevy lovin Cousin'e here. Gotta cut em some slack, raised in Ft. Worth.:D

Attachments

• dsc00563.jpg
    dsc00563.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 248
One cover off. By 70 the muscle cars were getting more and more junk like AC, PS, PB. So this is all in here with the auto. Oh well.:rolleyes:

Attachments

• dsc00566.jpg
    dsc00566.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:
I ran out of battery for better shots. Hood looks like a taller cowl induction, but is open with no flapper. It has black stripes just like from the factory and they did all the paint work.

Attachments

• dsc00565.jpg
    dsc00565.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 231
Does anyone know of a good forum for Chevy or Chevelle lovers?.

My cousins want to sell this thing and I don't know that AutoTrader and the paper will do.

Back in high school I had a 70 SS Chevelle with 454 LS6 same color as that. Ahhhh the memories.:D :D
Your cousins done a very nice job on that car Doug.:) :)

Wow, thanks guys. I hated to post it here but I just cannot keep from driving by and taking another look at it. My High School 69 RR was this color, & though a chevy it brings it all back.

One of them did have one like this though blue and it sure ran.

I am trying to talk them into keeping it and opening a shop, with this parked out front. I will find a way for a building if they will. They say it is not a frame off restoration but I saw this when nothing but a rolling hull, no interior or anything.

Thanks for the links Jim. I will pass it on.

Nice pics Doug. That is a sweet car. Looks like they did a good job.

A very good friend of mine has a similar one that he built although he kept it as a Malibu. He built two cars, the Malibu and a SS at the same time. He built the Malibu with mostly SS parts, but kept the Malibu badging and went with no stripes. He has a 454 pushing 400+ HP. I have driven it a few times. They are quite fun to drive.

Thanks for sharing those with us.

-Steve

They are nice cars to look at and drive in a straight line, but try and take a corner at speed and watch out.

Back in my youth, my Mother's Second husband (of 3) lived in a rural part of Minnesota and had a collection of cars in his yard. The 1965 Corvair became my first car. He had a 70 Chevelle SS, and a 71 El Camino with the big block in it. It was fun to ride in and cruise around the lakes with. It was also very easy to work on.

When I get to a point where I can just screw around I've got plans to do something with a late 60's very early 70's rig.

Not sure what yet.

All Harold got was a rolling shell of a Malibu, I believe. I never saw any badging on it. Just a very slick body that I think was matallic green or something, though he worked a long time to take out a few dings. sanded and primered everything and took the longest on paint job. To make it like a Chevelle he even put posi track in the rear and somewhere around 3.23 gears. Of course they are able to get a lot of reproduction new parts. Today is overcast. Will get a better pic or 2 when sunny.

hey my dad had one just like it, It was a Matching numbers LS6 car he had for years....he put the original motor in a bag, and went a found another ls6 and built it into one of the baddest rat motors in north east ohio....Naturally Aspirated +650HP!!! it was actually a 468 when he was done but it was sick as hell!!

heres a shot of it with the cragar ss's with slicks in the rear (super chevy norwalk ohio 2002) won runner up best chevelle

1.jpg

That is so wild, That is excactly how mine looked! The only difference is my wheels were Rocket's, But they had the same offsets as those and the car even set just like that.:eek: :cool: :) :)

Back