I need some advice on poss. head gasket problem...

Brad94SC

ok..... i took the pass side accesory bracket off the car to fix a really loud jackshaft pulley bearing, got that off no prob but i notice the front of the motor is all wet...

so i start feeling around the headgasket seam and much to my surprise, i see as my finger puts pressure on a particular spot on the seam, coolant flows out of the hole where the bolt goes that you remove to fill/drain the rad (right near the SC check/fill plug). the more pressure I put on the seam, the more coolant comes out the hole...... i hope this makes sense.....

so, it seems I have a gap where there should NOT be one..... has anyone ever experienced this before?

Last edited:
Sounds like your describing the upper raditor hose connector/thermostat housing. It's not unusual for that area to spring a leak. The stalk that contains the plug you remove to burp the cooling system is also very fragile and can be cracked at the base by tightning or loosening the vent plug if you don't use a wrench to hold the stalk.

If that's where it's leaking you will need another housing.

David

ok, hope this works... # 1 on the bottom left, near my hand.... if i put pressure on the seam between the head and the engine block, coolant comes out of the plug hole at # 2 near the top right corner of the picture...

coolant%20leak%201.JPG

Last edited:
Brad, what caused you to feel around the head/block seam in the first place? Did you see evidence of coolant leaking at that point? To me it is fairly obvious you have a head gasket failure at that point that leaks a path from the water jacket to the front of the block. Now, exactly why it causes the coolant to come out of the vent I'm not sure. Maybe because your're blocking the easy exit path and coolant going to path of least resistance.

My theory (what good it is)

Well yes there's a HG problem.. also the reason it may of being `bulbbing' back up throgh the vent would be cuase of Air entering that point of `pressing' and we all know air does rise .. which in turn is also `deplacing' the water and making it go through the vent tube..

ABrad, You cna TRY to reverse this and get a hoise that can fit on the `vent' pipe and blow into it like you never blew before :D Just remember, no SUCKING.. leave that to the females :p

Back