All you smart people!

tmccrank

I have a 1993 Thunderbird LX. I want to know if it is at all possible, and if so, how to supercharge my car. I want to purchase an entire used supercharger assembly from a 1992 SC, including supercharger, lower intake, intake elbow, both pipes, throttle body, and intercooler.

My problem is, I'm not very knowledgable with SC's, and I don't know if this is all I'll need, or if I need a completely different computer altogether. If anyone knows about this, please let me know.

I'm also wondering if the VMM from a SC will work in my car.

Thanks!!

shouldn't be done.
Block is a little different, Stock LX cast crank is considered too weak, Caps are considered too weak, pistons to high of a compression.
If I remember correctly the LX uses a speed density air meter and the SC use Mass Flow meters, so the LX computer wouldn't be able to keep up.

It would probibly be easier to find a whole SC motor, wiring harness and computer and do the swap.

I know the LX engine has Mass Air Flow meters, or is that not the same thing you're referring to? But if you're right, how is it possible to attach ANY supercharger to the engine, is it not recommended at all?

Some years of LX are speed density(no MAF) and some are mass airflow (with MAF) so it depends.

I think the enigne will hold up just fine,but you should probably not go above about 8psi unless you are ready to build another motor just in case.

Your car has a distributor that might be in the way. Like I said do a search this question gets answered about every 10 minutes. Most say don't do it. It's up to you. You might want to go over to the TCCOA and ask over there. There is a supercharger kit that you can buy (don't remember if it's a Vortech,Powerdyne, Procharger or what) you should check into that. By the time you get ALL the parts you will be ahead if you just buy the kit.

There is more than one way to skin a cat so you don't need everything to make the swap. You could get the Sc,inlet and TB, lower intake and some of the piping, the AC bracket (you need it for the jack shaft) and some of the other things. You will have to figure out what to do about the crank pulley since it's balanced with the dampner to nuetral. Remember that the NA V6 is externally balanced and the SC is internally balanced, so that's something to deal with.

You could use a FMU to add fuel, but you are on your own as for what ratio you need. Look at the TCCOA, they deal with the LX's. This site is for the SC so we don't usually deal with the LX.

Jeff

If you are dead set on making it a SC, buy a wrecked one and do the swap or buy the kit for the Mustang 6.

Hello

Hello,
Trying to morph your LX engine to resmble an SC engine is more of a head ache than it is worth. To be safe you would have swap internals on the bottom end. You would have to find almost all the top end accessories that involve the SC.
You could swap a SC engine into your LX but then you have to deal with electrical/computer issues.
I have to be honest with you here man.
If I had an LX I would be looking for more cubic inches and not less.
I am in the process of deciding what I want to do with my SC.
Rebuild the engine or get rid of it for something with more cubic inches and larger aftermarket.
Good luck.
Laterz,
D Rainer

Back