overheating problem..

sevilla

I have some problems with my tbird 92 SC.

Some days ago, the Fan get on when the tem gauge mark the "R" of "Norm" and recently, the fan get on then the gauge mark on "M".

I flush the radiator and refill again with 60% of Coolant and i filled the coolant deposit and the problem is still there, but all the coolant of the deposit coolant drop out.. i think is because the water of the radiator is very hot, but the water of the radiator is ok!

I change the radiator cap and the Engine Coolant Sensor and still have the problem..

Anyone have any idea?

i'm having a similar problem i've also replaced stat, temp sensor, coolant flush/refill, upper and lower hoses and the prob is still there fan turns on around M on temp gauge but when the A/C is turned on the car runs cool ????????? I'm gonna get an aux fan (BIG ONE) and set it on a thermostatically controlled switch to turn on around 180 and a 180 stat

Not using a thermostat is likely one of your problems.

The computer system depends on the stock conditions to be present for our cooling system to activate the fans at the correct time. In addition to this, it must be able to regulate flow through the radiator so the fluid can slow down for proper heat transfer. The thermostat may also play some role in the direction of flow through the heads.

If you have an interest in using a lower temperature thermostat, it is necessary to lower the ECU programmed fan turn on settings. Some bypass this by simply wiring a switch in line with the fan circuit, which must be done carefully to avoid burning out the fan.

Few here would advise you to remove the thermostat. I would install a factory Motorcraft unit, put in a 50/50 mix of coolant to water, and see if the problem remains. If it does, you must first diagnose the problem with your factory cooling system to properly resolve it w/o engine damage.

BTW, a coolant mixture above 50% is usually only a detriment to cooling capacity, as water has a better heat transfering ability than coolant.

Hope that helps..

Woa Woa Woa...what do you mean you arnt running a t-stat. In the best intrest of everyone who owns a car PUT A T-STAT IN IF YOU ARE NOT GOING TO REBUILD YOUR CAR EVERY SEASON. The whole principal behind the T-stat is to stop the flow of water. If the water does not stop it flows past the hot spots and they never cool down. As the metal gets hotter it starts to make the water boil off of the area and in actuallity the metal where the bubles come from actually explode. Not to mention the rust factor, (enter the 3.0 iron head 96 Taurus). T-stats are cheap insurance that the cars engine will be okay tomorrow...and that you will have heat. If you want the fan to come on earlier you can buy a cooling fan on off switch that is adjustable. Please, for the life of your car run a t-stat.

running hot?

Make sure your little air dam is on under the bumpercover......I went 1 year with this problem till I Installed another one & it cooled right off right now......

Back