who thinks this blower will last (PLEASE READ)

turboken

My blower is whining bad. A friend loaned me a '91 blower he got for free when a guy bought a whole Magnum Powers induction system. He put bearings in the front, and I will put a new seal (CR #7968) in the snout. He said he spent $7 on the bearings. I spun it by hand and it is totally quiet, where as the one on my car (no belt on, noise is too scary) makes a grinding noise when spun by hand. My question is what are the chances that this blower will make it the few weeks it will take to get mine rebuilt. He eventually (in the next few years) wants to put it on a SHO, but he said if the bearings fail, he's only out 7 bucks. I read a few threads that talked about cheap bearings which fail after a very short time. The guy who owned the SC it came off of said it didn't whine like mine, and only leaked fluid. My SECOND question is a question the guy who did the bearings asked me; did he need to use any sealant on the section he removed (seperating the snout from the body of the unit)? thanks for any help, and thanks for reading this long post.

turboKen Lamond

Parts these days that are new, sometimes fail before you even get them out of the box. It will be hard to tell.

On the snout of the blower, he will need to seal it up with some rtv silicone. I used the blue one on mine. Make sure he uses it on the snout and where the tb intake bolts to the back, if he removed it.

And put the right sc fluid in it, not just synthetic oil...lol.

Back