PDA

View Full Version : leaking transmission???

darkstar_one
02-05-2004, 12:45 AM
hey... well on my way to the ford dealership... my car started smoking ... i checked underneath and the tranny was throwing fluid all on the exhaust. I let it kool down and it was gone... After the dealership it did it once more and i let it kool down again it was the same thing. It threw fluid onto the exhaust. dont know what it is. ATF level seems normal. I know i need a bigger tranny cooler. What can it be?

Thomas A
02-05-2004, 12:59 AM
Sounds like the rear tailshaft seal to me. Pretty easy to replace. Just have to drop the exhuast, gas tank, and driveshaft. Have fun!

Thomas

darkstar_one
02-05-2004, 01:44 AM
anyone else? hmmm thats what i was thinking because it throws the oil were the Y PIPE goes into the resonator. anyone else?

Jeremy_K
02-05-2004, 07:40 PM
does it leak while it's parked? mine is leaking from where the dipstick tube goes into the tranny. pretty much any fluid that drips down will get blown back to where the resonator meets the y pipe. my resonator was catching oil leaking from the front seal.

thundercougar
02-05-2004, 07:55 PM
Mine was leaking from the pan seal, I bottomed out one day and I guess a rock made a small dent in it and warped the pan, One way you can check is to clean everything off and drive a short distance.

If that is your problem, I would suggest getting a new pan, and filter kit with new gasket.

It could possibly be leaking around the dipstick tube housing, You could use some jb weld to seal around it.

Good luck.

darkstar_one
02-05-2004, 11:35 PM
hey... well i pulled out the pan today and bam... creamy milk chocolate liquid. got me pretty thirsty... well the tranny was over filled. causin it to dump the extra fluid into the air. well i replaced the filter and the oil and it seems to run smoother now. Will take it on the freeway and see what it is now. thanx i will keep u posted.

thundercougar
02-06-2004, 12:12 AM
I dont get it. Why would someone pour chocolate milk into your tranny? lol

You shoud of drained it completly, put a new filter in, and ran it for 50 or so miles and change the fluid and filter again. They are only like $6, cheap matinence.

darkstar_one
02-06-2004, 12:27 AM
hey man... i dont know were the filters are for 6 bucks. i have to get mines by force for 15 bucks in the set.

thundercougar
02-06-2004, 12:32 AM
Advance auto parts Trans Filter. (http://www.partsamerica.com/PartDetails.asp?SourceArea=SHOP&SourcePage=SEARCHRESULTS&MfrCode=SAG&MfrPartNumber=FK138&PartType=1158&PTSet=B)