Problems With Clevite Main Bearings

NR94mtSC

OK heres how it goes down.. had problems with my machine shop when they did the work on my block. they got me a set of clevite 77 main bearings. The part number on the box is the same number that autozone and summit list as the replacement for our cars.

the problem is .. the lower thrust bearing i first thought was formed wrong. the tab does not match the machined grove in the cap. i bought another set of bearings from autozone.

SAME PROBLEM! anyone have this problem or know of a remedy?

Thanks Chris

thanks boss,

so all i gotta do is file that tab off... i was also under the impression that this keeps the bearing from spinning.

do you know why only that one thrust bearing is cast like that?

thanks
Chris

main bearings

I had the same problem. I put the thrust bearings on the ends without looking closely at the main caps. The main caps which have machined surfaces on the sides are the ones which the thrust bearings go on. If you get the right bearing on the right main cap, I'm pretty sure everything will line up right.

NO i have the main caps in the right spot. the problem with the bearing is that the tab which aligns it on the main cap is in the wrong place

chris

And you are trying to place the thrust bearing on the 3rd journal from the front. (second from the rear). Called rear intermediate in the factory manual.

NR94mtSC said:
... i was also under the impression that this keeps the bearing from spinning.

No it is merely a locating tab. The O.D. of the bearing shell is slightly larger than the I.D. of the rod or main bearing. Different engine and materials result in variances, and my memory ain't what it used to be, but .001 difference comes to mind as being in the ballpark.

This is referred to as "bearing crush" and is basically a slight interference fit between the bearing shell and the rod, or main, saddle and cap.

Clear as mud?

gotcha thanks parker dean

====And you are trying to place the thrust bearing on the 3rd journal from the front. (second from the rear). Called rear intermediate in the factory manual.====

yes weezer when i disassembled the block i stamped the caps with numbers to know where they go... and the thrust bearing will only fit on one cap.

thanks guys
saved me some aggrivation here!

I just thought I would ask. It was a while between taking my engine apart and reassembly. I thought the thrust bearing went in the rear main for some reason. I read the manual before every step after that.

no Weazer the thrust bearing is on main journal #3. The third one from the front or the second one from the rear.
Chevy's have the thrust bearing on the rear journal.:)

Back