Removing the pig. How is it done? (3.73's)

91BLOWNSC

Can someone tell me how to remove the read end out of my car. I want to have 3.73 gears installed, and I am not sure how the rear halfshafts or whatever they are pull out of the pig itself. I have had all the other main bolts and driveshaft detached before, all I need to know is whats left to do.

And for anyone with 3.73's what was the mpg loss in going to a higher gearing...is it worth it? Thanks.

At first there I thougth there was a Cop attached to your car. But I realized what you were talking about.

AKA:

PIG
HogsHead
Pumpkin
Differential
RearEnd

I did this swap on my 1993 Cougar sc. (yea, I know they didnt come Supercharged, But I wanted one bad, so I did the swap.)

First:
Jack the rear end of the car up support it on floor jacks.
Remove the tires
Remove the Rear exhaust after the res.
Disconnect the Driveshaft by unbolting the 4 12mm 12point bolts.
Remove the right " hub carrier??", be careful not to bend the brake line too much.
Remove the right driveaxle by prying it out with the stock prybar.
Remove the 4 nuts holding the "PIG" in place, They have a nonfixed bolt on the other side, Use alot of wd40 to help out.
You also need to support the pumpkin with the jack while doing this.

With the nuts removed, carefully pry the left driveaxle out of the pumpkin, the pumpkin should be move the the right to be ready to drop. I suggest removeing the left driveaxle to make it easier taking out and putting in.

Upon reassembly, I had to hammer the right one in with a rubber mallet.

I would also suggest you upgrade to Polyurethane bushings, $39, its worth it!

I have noticed that my gas mileage hasnt droped that much, You will be ok as long as you keep your rpms low. Its not a super noticable difference, But if you want that, go to 4.10s and kiss your Gassssss mileage good bye.

I belive its easier on the tranny too. it takes less power to spin the tires from a stop too.

Over all its worth it if it find a good deal on an already built diff. I got mine for $90 shipped with only 200mi on it, doesnt whine a bit.

Good luck.

Back