Driving in the winter

BlkSCnKS

Do you think an automatic SC or 4.6 would be easier to drive then a 5spd SC? I think once I get my 460 going in my other SC this summer, I'm going to sell my '95 5spd. I'd rather see someone own it that would be able to garage it during the winter and just over all take better care of it. Once I sell the '95, then I'll look into a '94 5spd or a '94 or '95 auto SC or 4.6. Just wondering if you think an automatic would be a little better for the winter. Thanks, Brandon

I have each, and quite frankly I'd rather drive my 5-speed in the snow than my auto any day. In fact, I drive 30 miles each way to work with my 5-speed, and trust me, we have plenty of snow around here.

Dale

Without a doubt the 5-speed!

I like have more control over the shifts in the slippery stuff, the ability for 2nd gear starts if needed etc.

One other thing, I remember reading somerwhere that the 4R70W can get really damaged if you exceed 3000 RPM or something in reverse. That can easily happen if you are trying to get unstuck.

Blizzaks

Get a set of Blizzaks and it won't matter much which car you drive. I've been using them since Jan '95 and have never even come close to getting stuck or losing control and I drive 55 miles each way to work (AOD).

I agree the Blizzacks are the most amazing Snow tire ever made. EVER!!!!!! Never got close to stuck even in snow up to the bumpers. :)

I agree that Blizzak's are awesome. But he asked about transmissions, not tires.

I completely agree with Andy. Given the 2, you have WAY more control with the 5-speed. You can slip the clutch if you need, to try to reduce spinning. You can soft shift. You have all kinds more control to keep the tires from spinning out underneath you.

Dale

I figured as much. I haven't had too much trouble driving my '95 5spd in the snow but I wanted to see what experience people have had with the auto in snow. Looks like I'll be looking for a '94 5spd come summer to replace my '95 unless I can't find somebody interested in buying a '95. Thanks, Brandon

What are the specs on your car and how much are you selling for? And yes 5-speeds are much better in the snow. My Grand Cherokee is an auto and unless it is in all wheel mode or full time 4 wheel, it will spin all the time if you aren't very very careful.

I'm pretty sure you will have NO problem selling a 5-speed '95. Heck, I want one of those. When are you selling? :D

Dale

Back