PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust question

thundercougar
02-05-2004, 10:20 PM
Im planning on gutting my resonator out. I was planning on cutting he exhaust off right before the resinator, Then putting it back on Saturday once I get the cutting torch and welder set up to do it.

Would it be ok to drive around for 1day with everything but the cats off? I know it will be loud as hell, But what will it do as performance and gas mileage wise?

I will be ok legally cause the cops where I live dont care that much as long as your not at a light reving it up.

I was just asking cause I was concerned with backpressure and o2 sensor issues.

Thanks in advance.

livn
02-06-2004, 03:27 AM
if its only 1 day does it really matter what it does to your performance or mileage? unless you plan on racing or goin on a long trip who cares.
id be more concerned about the fumes floating around and all over the place, getting sucked into the interior and the carbon dioxide knockin ya out :confused:
also the temperature of the exhaust at the cats is extremely high, and i dont think id want that floating around down there.
why dont you gut the cats and get the rest of the system back together all at once?

seawalkersee
02-06-2004, 11:21 AM
Im not sure if you are for real or not. The resinator? If you are looking for performance there buy one off of the supercoupeperformance.com site. It will be mostly a bolt in issue (get exhaust clamps for a Diesel) and hook it up. You will not want to run without one if you travel at highway speeds. It resonates so bad you feel it. I want to install one. Mine was scrapped before I bought the car. I dont think you can gut that either. Its not what you think it is. Look at the site and click on the icon and look at the picture.

thundercougar
02-06-2004, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the info, Thats what Ill do, How do I gut the cats?

seawalkersee
02-06-2004, 10:05 PM
There are also some high flow units on the www.supercoupeperformance.com site. I dont know of any other ones but you can check the flashing links at the top of the page. If you dont know how to do this dont do it. If your car is mostly stock dont do this. I have 283 rwhp and 308 rwtq. I still run cats (race cats of course). If your gonna do it do it right.

seawalkersee
02-06-2004, 10:16 PM
One more thing, your car will not run worth a piss if you cut off your exhaust. You will probably have trouble climbing hills if you cut it off to short. The back pressure is NECESSARY on a street motor. You will be mad and wont want to drive it. In other words...I wouldnt do that if I were YOU...

thundercougar
02-07-2004, 03:49 AM
OK, Ill use a cutting torch to cut a hole in it and pull everything out, Then Ill patch up the Resinator and put the stock muffler back on.

Thanks for the info again.