Antifreeze question

thundercougar

I noticed that my dad has been using dexcool in his new truck. Susposivly its only for newer vehicles cause they run hotter.

My question is, Would it work in a our cars?

Don't really know if it's ok, some say yes some say no. Most say flush the heck out of your system before switching. If you do.

I have a feeling mixing the Dexcool (orange or red in color) and the regular ethylene glycol (green) anti-freeze accelerated my blown headgasket. The engine builder said that my cooling passages had a lot of gunk in them. But I wasn't one to be religious with my coolant changes either.

i have talked to mechanics at ford about mixing the red and green and the say not to

but the also said that the red is no good and to get it out asap
even if your car is brand new

I am in agreement about dexcool, it's not was it built up to be. I am in an automotive program at a local college, and all the mechanic/instructors there have basically said the same thing. If you are going to use it then flush and change every two years like you would any other coolant. They been having too many problems with it in the different shops, they promise it to be good for 100k miles, but it's not living up to the engineers expectations.

Just my .02, and what I have been hearing for the last two years.

dexcool

From what I've heard, the dexcool is a 5 year coolant. On these cars and any car really, the coolant should be changed every two years at least. I plan on changing mine yearly. I asked a mechanic if there were any advantages to using the dexcool other than the lifetime of the coolant and he told me no.

David

Back