steering noise

jermenheinder

when i turn the wheel of my sc it makes a weird noise. was just wondering if anyone knows what it is??? im thinking maybe a power steering pump. thanks
jeremy

these cars, actually lots of fords, have very noisy power steering pumps
check the fluid,
lift the hood and have someone turn the wheel and listen to the pump

more than alot not just the fords but the sub divisions, my lincoln towncar power steering whines alot but works great

The pump is a C5 positive displacement vayne style pump. Some of them made the noise from the factory and some made the noise and were actually louder when I installed them new. If the pump is your noise it does not need to be replaced when unless it is not functioning anymore. If it is a squeaking noise bounce the car. If you still hear it turn the wheel to the side of the car the noise is coming from. Crawl under there and grab the outer tie rod end and twist. The squeak SHOULD come from there if it is a factory end. If not push up on the car and listen to the lower controll arm where it connects to the subframe.

They whine a lot more when the fluid is low. Fill it to the proper level on the dipstick and it should quieten down some.

Anyone know if there's a seal kit out there for them? Mine tends to leak a bit and I'd like to stop the leak if possible.

Back