Dis ?

Night-Ryder

Okay i think this car hates me
it just doesnt stop breaking ehehehe
Okay now
I was cruisin to work some stop and go traffic
no where near boost or 20km/hr for that matter :D
anyways
The car bucked a bit the rpms went weird fast ( up and down)
and then died. so i went under the hood played with ignition wires and coil pack and unplugged and repluged the DIS
Okay she starts idles good, start going about 30 meters later buck buck crazy rpms dies. i thought maybe my clutch was slipping causing the tranny to load the engine or somthing.
Anyways after like doing this 3 times i got to work ( i was around the corner when it happened) so at work on lunch i think hmm ill see if she starts and she starts but doesnt wanna hold unless i gas her a bit and she feels like she is missing cylinders then doesnt then does the is smooth then goes crazy. Now i checked for loose spark plug boots and all checked out. U think this may be a DIS going bad
Does anyone have a DIS from a compatable year of 1993 that i could please !!!!!!! try out, Thanks a bunch
Any other idea's ? Crank Sensor was replaced 20,000km ago along with cam sensor. no yellow upshift light. And the car has 3/4 tank of gas so tats not it, plus he exhaust has Zero coolant smell or smoke.

Nick,
I think you might need to buy one since I dont know what other year of a DIS will work with a 93. I dont know there will be a lot of people out there that can help you with it. As well why are you so sure it's your DIS could be any number of things. Since it was wet out in the morning you might of had water get in some connection as well have you had heat sink compund under the DIS?

Nick,
My guess is as good as yours with out seeing the car and runing some tests I would have no idea what it is. You might need to take it to some one to find out. whats the car doing now? It could be like I said something is got water in it from it being damp and wet out.

Im gonna work on it tomorrow and try somthings i was out most of the weekend so far
If u arent busy and have time and wouldnt mind stopping by for a look Jason that would be cool if not then i understand its all good.
I just really need a second opinion and maybe a coil pack to try switching before i go out buying things.
Basically i have come down to it has to be something electrical
My suspects are

Faulty Ignition Wires
Bad Spark Plugs
Failing DIS
Failed Coilpack

Could it potentially be anything else ?
I know it could be anything and everything but thats why i want someone with the knowledge to see it and not a random mechanic who is just gonna tell me the most expensive part.

Sorry about all that
Thanks
Nick

<edit>
When i run the car now it just will not hold a good idle it runs like its on 4 cylinders trying to hold idle but freaking out.
</edit>

Last edited:
Nick,
I would help if I was in town this weekend. But have you been reading my other posts about the water geting in since Fri. was wet out. Have you used been using the stuff you put on your wires and at electric conections?
First of all how old are your wires? as well most of the time all the wires dont go at once, your car should be able to still run if one goes will just have a miss. Bad Spark Plugs same as with the wires they dont all just go. DIS I dont think thats your proplem but it could be vary slim. Coilpack not something that goes a lot on a ford but you never know. Now Nick you have not said what the car will do NOW if you try and start it that might help in use.
I have an idea that the wires going down to the Crank Sensor may have come undone the other thing is there is two wire conetions by the dis and the front of the blower one of them is a one wire one the other is more there should be a clip holding it to the blower at where the top bolts down. Try them I have had a problem there befor just like you said was happening as well you might need to undo the batter I had to.
Hope this might help.

No not yet but probably not related i can hear the fuel pump come on like its supposed to
and also now i have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the DIS
Checking coil pack ressitance between cylinders ( should be 8-9omhs) and mine checks out as around 8.5 so thats good im gonna assume that means the coil pack is good
i diconnected the battery to let it relearn and now when i hooked it back up it wont even start then stutter and die it just wont start.

Anybody
how would i check fuel pressure ?
Thanks
Nick

I take it you dont read a post vary well since you have not said if you looked to see if stuff was all wet under the hood from it being wet out friday!!!

to find out fuel pressure you need a fuel pressure gauge there about $40-50 at CT then it goes on the shrader valve on thr right side by the blower.

**** it im just taking it to ford to have them look at it there is to many things on this car that go wrong ill just see what they want to make it run again.
Thanks for the attempted help
Ill keep u informed
Lates

( incase ur wondering yes i did check every connection with a test light and all i checked coil pack resistances i reset the computer i checked cam and crank sensors everytjing but fuel pressure. and now the car wont even start and miss it just wont start.
I think cause the dents in my hood water could have go in it was a little moist under there but i know its been wetter before. No yellow up shift light , and the plugs and wires were replaced when the engine was rebuilt.

Thats all i can think of
Lates
Nick

Back