Rattle from the supercharger

ben04

when the car is idling and i have the sound system off... i can hear a rattling which apparently is coming from the supercharger (bearings) the guy who sold it to me said it was the bearings or something and woudln't get any worse than what it is...... any ideas or oppinions on this?

its a bearing, do you really think rattling is the worse it is going to get?...lol.

You can get replacement bearing for it, or a rebuild kit for the supercharger. Price depends on where you get it.

Im in the same boat.

I heard it can be the bearings or the coupler. The coupler is sometimes spring loaded and knocks around a little. Mine is a 89 which I think has a solid coupler so Im looking to do my bearings.

The rattle is usually from the coupling...nothing to worry about so long as you keep it filled with fluid. If it's growling it's usually the snout bearings going and you should start planning for a rebuild. MP does it for $300. Either way it's nothing to panic over and will be okay for several months.

David

Last edited:
hmmmmmmm, is it fairly easy to do bearings or the coupler (whats a coupler exactly?).... rebulid of supercharger i'll try to avoid just cuz of the cost, but if its even close to being necessary i'll do it

Back