Which plugs go on which side.

Mike Puckett

SCCoA Member
I used to know this but can't find my info on it. I have the original plugs from my crate motor heads still unused and I'm going to use them in the new motor. 3 are a PP plug with the platinum center electrode and 3 are an orange tipped PG with a platinum layer on the bottom of the finger. I'm not sure which way the current flows to determine on which side each should located. Is it platinum center electrodes on the right side and platinum fingers on the left?

Um, no clue.

It was under the impression that all the plugs where double platinums. Am mistaken?

What kind of plugs are you using? Because the autolite are all the same. Most plugs should be the same and you only have to worry about the current flow from the exhaust spark if you are reusing old ones that are worn a certain way.

Guys, he's asking about the origianal stock plugs that came in the SC engines from the factory. These are not replacement plugs. Not many people have seen these plugs!

To save a little $$, Ford used a single tipped plat plug on each side of the engine. Since the polarity of the coil is different for each side either the center electrode or the "grounding" electrode will burn away more quickly and it is the side that was platinum tipped from the factory.

Unfortunately, Mike, I cannot remember which side is which either. I think most engines that use single plats have the "finger" side as ground so the center electrode is plat. We just need to look at the coil schematics to see which side of the engine uses the head as a ground. The center plat tipped plug would go on that side.

(You also have an email from me on these plugs.)

10-4 George, I got your e-mail and will take you up on it and not worry about it. That engine was test fired but the plugs look perfectly new.

Back